Nissan Patrols

Submitted: Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 19:28
ThreadID: 3594 Views:1548 Replies:12 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for anyones opinion on 3 litre & 4.2 litre TDi Nissan Patrols 98 model and onwards.
We are thinking about buying one. We would like to know of any possible problems to look for, we have a Hilux and would like to have the comfort of the Nissan.(We are getting old).

Any ideas on where to look for good offroad trailers in the Sydney area.
Thank you for your time.

Usher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:34

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:34
trying to answer but it won't let me
AnswerID: 14200

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:35

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:35
The 3.0 GU's are known for Problems.
Gearbox($LOTS), air cond pulley bearings($3000), Air sensors($1300), few more things. Long term klms is always unknown, but I see a 4 cyl pulling a 2 ton car, and camper trailer, and goodies etc is going to have problems in the long run.. But thats my opinion.

But then the owner of the camper trailer list has an Ultimate Camper Trailer! He has had a few probs with it, but swears by it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The TD 4.2 has been around since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem... 500,000klms is not unknown.
Not many problems, but they are a little under powered without a turbo... Plenty of torque, will pull you along allday and night.. A very honest engine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which ever you get it will serve you well. Get the extended warranty if you get one.
AnswerID: 14201

Reply By: David - Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:39

Friday, Feb 28, 2003 at 23:39
I typed out a reply and it wouldn't let me post.
I'll try again.
The 3.0 is great- but very hi-tech. If you have probs they can be very expensive to fix.
The TD42 diesel is built from old technology- and built to last- a bit "agricultural" but I like it that way. Give me old reliable anyday.
I have a 13 year old Maverick (read Patrol) which has never had any problem- absolutely bullet proof. I like it that way!
AnswerID: 14202

Follow Up By: David - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 08:47

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 08:47
PS
spoke to a bloke at Main Beach (gold coast) the other day who'd just pulled his 22!!! foot caravan from Perth. He was totally happy with his choice....
Hard to believe, a 3litre diesel in a 2 ton vehicle pulling a 2ton+ caravan.
Where is the world coming to.
Good luck and cheers.
FollowupID: 8508

Follow Up By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:52

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:52
I'm with you David,,
FollowupID: 8569

Follow Up By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:03

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:03
Hi David, How many k's on your 13 yo Patrol?
FollowupID: 8580

Follow Up By: David - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 23:50

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 23:50
Michael
It's old, but it's "young". Don't need it for work, so it often sits in the garage for a week or two- would you believe it has only 120,000 klms. It has probably done atleast a third of that towing, up to and including a trailer sailer that weighed close to 3 tonnes .(yes I know, too heavy!) and possibly nearly another fifth of those k's on dirt. It has never been back to the dealer (not ever) and has never had any problem ever apart from the clock which is useless!! (stuck a $10 LCD one on the dash)(Oh and BP did put new seals in the injection pump for me as it had the dribbles...)
So it's going to be in the family for a long long time yet! Am seriously thinking (belatedly) of putting the boot in to it by bolting on a turbo or superecharger.... very soon!
I've just shouted it new shockers- been fitting them today. And I think it's time to get the viscous fan clutch overhauled as it won't cut in....
FollowupID: 8604

Reply By: Karen+Mark - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 08:07

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 08:07
Hey Usher,

I can't really comment in any great depth as I have owned the 3.0l Di (May 2000) for the grand total of 20 days. But, it has 150,000 ks on the clock and apart from regular oil and filter changes has had only 3 proper services in its lifetime. AND still goes like the clappers (Now 153500 ks). Apparently? the 'high tech' engine is not that new - Nissan took over Renault and this motor has been used in light commercials in Europe for around a decade. Regardless, it uses the same $$ in fuel as my 1994 immaculate Camry and I can't be happier. Only problem so far is the water in diesel light that keeps flicking on. Drained the filter then replaced the filter but still it occurs. On reading the workshop manual it has a 'self diagnosis' thing (how smart is my car) so when we connect two points under the dash it should flick out 'morse code' any faults registered. Havn't tried this yet so will keep you posted.

And to confuse you even further, the 4.2 is reported to be the most reliable engine available today. Whatever your choice - GO the Patrol.

Cheers, Karen & Mark, 'the new patrollers'
AnswerID: 14218

Follow Up By: sean - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:27

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:27
Karen and Mark

"""Only problem so far is the water in diesel light that keeps flicking on"""

I have same vehicle and had same problem. More than likely your fuel filter needs replacement. I had same problem with a batch of bad fuel.

Also, stick to OEM filter. One person who had a fuel pump failure had changed his filter to a less restrictive aftermarket filter. Keep it stock.

Sean
FollowupID: 8509

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:56

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:56
Nissan took over Renault

Other way round.... Renault took over NIssan as NIssan were/are going down the gurgler....
FollowupID: 8511

Reply By: Usher - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:51

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:51
To all the people that replied to out question that being about the 3.0 & 4.2 TDi Nissan Patrol....
We like to thank you very much for the time that you put in to answer our question....this will make it a little easier for us in our quest for a new car....
Thank you
Usher & Michelle
AnswerID: 14223

Follow Up By: desert - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:02

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 12:02
Here's my bit for what it's worth. The 3 litre is modern high tech and fully electronically controlled and will deliver precise and clean air motoring along with good power and torque for a 4 cyl. engine. Provided the electronics behave it should be just as durable as the 6 cyl. However, therein lies the demon. If I was stuck in the middle of the Gibson desert, and had an engine that would not start, I would have a 99% chance of getting the old mechanical 4.2 litre going. It can only be fuel or air for the problem. I can't say the same about the 3 litre. I would not know where to start if it did not go. Complicated computers, sensors and probes, any one of them is almost impossible to diagnose without workshop equipment. On the other hand, if your 4x4ing involves city and or highway work, not far from help, then that is not going to be life threatening. But all this will soon be beyond us as stricter air pollution laws and emission standards, will spell the end of the old 4.2 and it's replacment will be just as complicated as the 3 litre, sooner than later.
FollowupID: 8518

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:59

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:59
I have a mate selling his GU 3.0 today actually! Getting a Prado

He is sick of warranty claims and the always 2 week back order problems

His last one was a pipe of some sort, Marth 18th it will be here, no offer of another car, no sorry no oh well fly in this 1foot long x 2cm round pipe for you .... no we'll rip one off a new car to keep you happy....

HE spat the dummy and the patched it up for him... Now he is trading it bodged up, dont blame him, thats his 8-10th problem..
AnswerID: 14225

Follow Up By: sean - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 14:49

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 14:49
Bruce

for the benefit of us readers would you be kind enough to post the 8 to 10 problems for our benefit.

Thanks

Sean
FollowupID: 8525

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 22:08

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 22:08
off the top of my head.

Air cond pulleys $3000
Cooling system problems
Air Cond problems.
Gearbox problems
clutch(after 50,000 and Nissan told him he should be happy with that MANY klms!)
the usual 3.0 lack of power one, its a computer issue or ECU or something..

There have been other problems, but I *THINK* these ones were all his...
FollowupID: 8554

Follow Up By: sean - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:33

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:33
Truckster

thanks for the follow up.

Sean
FollowupID: 8571

Follow Up By: Will - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:02

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:02
Trucskter,
How is the prado going to be better in that respect??
When we did the Simpson crossing, we come across a couple with a brand new prado with a seized A/C compressor, had seized just before leaving and Toyota did not have one in the country, had to wait three months for one to arrive....!!!!

On the other hand I had a 4.2 TD patrol GU since new (99) and has not had any problems except for a cracked rim and Nissan replaced them all.
Never had to wait any more than two days for common parts (only needed a fan blade once and I damaged the transfer pump shield on a trip which took a week to arrive.
Will
FollowupID: 8613

Reply By: Craig - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 19:04

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 19:04
Usher, plenty of feedback for the patrol question , Now for you trailer question , I ended up buying a road camper from the trady post ( their cheaper ) then I took it to a trailer mob whown replace the under structure to the way I wanted (the 4x4 way) the end result about 5 grand better off and got customized to the way i wanted.
And for the record returned from Cape York with no problems and past a few of the comercially supplied campers with axel and spring probs on the side of the road and in the weld shops.
Regards
Craig.
AnswerID: 14247

Follow Up By: duncs - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 16:26

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 16:26
Two comments.

1st I now own a GU4.2 2001 model. I love it goes hard, very comfortable and should last well, but it does use heaps more fuel than the 3.0 I know that because I have 2 mates with the 3.0 and they get way better fuel figures than I do and one of these guys drives pretty hard at least on the sealed stuff. One of these guys works in the 4wd industry and there are options available to make the 3.0 even better. Neither have had any problems.

2nd I tow a Trak Shak trailer. Have had it since 96. I travel with my wife and three kids. It has been all over Oz, including first trailer to the tip of Cape York after the big wet of March 99. The only problem I have had was the cable for the override brakes broke following two huge stops in the Maytown area west of Cooktown. I drove it from there to Weipa without brakes and had no problems. I have never not gone somewhere because I had the trailer. I have towed other vehicles out of tuff spots attatching the recovery gear to the trailer, no problems.

I recomend you go to a show and look at the range. Find one that suits you. Ask very carefully about the pricing and add the cost of the options you want. Then go to caravan parks and ask people who own them.what they don't like about the trailer and what they would change about it. Remember that they are going to be unwilling to critisize their own decision in buying that trailer. I know I am biased but I do love my Trak Shak. Built in SA they will ship it anywhere in OZ and they are great people to do business with.
FollowupID: 8625

Follow Up By: duncs - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 16:27

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 16:27
Two comments.

1st I now own a GU4.2 2001 model. I love it goes hard, very comfortable and should last well, but it does use heaps more fuel than the 3.0 I know that because I have 2 mates with the 3.0 and they get way better fuel figures than I do and one of these guys drives pretty hard at least on the sealed stuff. One of these guys works in the 4wd industry and there are options available to make the 3.0 even better. Neither have had any problems.

2nd I tow a Trak Shak trailer. Have had it since 96. I travel with my wife and three kids. It has been all over Oz, including first trailer to the tip of Cape York after the big wet of March 99. The only problem I have had was the cable for the override brakes broke following two huge stops in the Maytown area west of Cooktown. I drove it from there to Weipa without brakes and had no problems. I have never not gone somewhere because I had the trailer. I have towed other vehicles out of tuff spots attatching the recovery gear to the trailer, no problems.

I recomend you go to a show and look at the range. Find one that suits you. Ask very carefully about the pricing and add the cost of the options you want. Then go to caravan parks and ask people who own them.what they don't like about the trailer and what they would change about it. Remember that they are going to be unwilling to critisize their own decision in buying that trailer. I know I am biased but I do love my Trak Shak. Built in SA they will ship it anywhere in OZ and they are great people to do business with.
FollowupID: 8626

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:48

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:48
Hi Usher, have a Gu 4.2 1999 mod ,ST. nearing 4 yo with 255,000kms ,only one problem apart from the sagging drivers side springs since tie day i picked it up( they were going to fix but never did), thats the front auto/manual lock hub covers, both had cracks radiating from the six bolt holes. Both were replaced for about $500 ea. about 6 months ago. So if you buy any of the GU's, even a used one, if you get any warranty, check these hub covers b4 the warrant runs out. Apart fron that i'm really happy, i getting a new 4.2 in June.. Regards Michael
AnswerID: 14287

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:20

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:20
HI again Usher, One more thing, if you can aford a few more grand and of corse if you can find one , buy the 4.2, the fuel consumption is about the same, there is no computers to die on you, very simple injection pump(if you get a cocktail of diesel and thinners, the pump could fail on the 3,0L, its $6000.00 for a new one), the 4,2 pump is lubricated by the engine oil, the 3,0L is not. The 3,0L also has a much lower rear diff ratio, and with that comes more engine revs at speed and more "NOISE".
And remember DON'T tow in fifth gear, some GU's fail in fifth gear due to incorrect tolerances in the gears, late 99 till late 2000 builds i think, There is a lot of discussion on this gearbox problem a few pages back. Hope this helps( hope it does not make you want to buy a Toyota!!!!!!!) Michael
AnswerID: 14309

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 22:30

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 22:30
ANother problem was cracking rims.

This has happened on a LOT of Gu's....

Cracks on the rims.... Theres photos on www.offroader.com.au of these.
AnswerID: 14328

Follow Up By: Will - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:09
The cracked rims is not a problem as they get replaced by Nissan even when out of warranty as this is a safety issue, this only happens to the steel rims.
If you buy a new GU it will now come with alloys.
Will
FollowupID: 8614

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:28

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:28
Cracked rims are a problem... How would you be if a rim collapsed at 120kph fulla camping gear and trailer??

Nissan only replace them IF you take them to Nissan and only if you know to look for the cracks in the first place.
FollowupID: 8615

Follow Up By: Will - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:51

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 10:51
Truckster,
OK they ARE a problem if they broke at 100kms/h but Nissan is replacing them...
I asked Nissan Australia why weren't they recalling them and they said that not all rims are affected.
In my opinion they should all be replaced/recalled, but Nissan is not the only one on that one, all manufacturers are the same.
this answer is out of scope for what this guy asked anyway, is now aware that the rims could be an issue.
I think that all the answers about these two vehicles are valid and pretty much spot on.

will
FollowupID: 8616

Reply By: David - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 23:56

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 23:56
And for Usher another reason why I like the TD42- a copy of one of my earlier posts...........
"My cousin in Mooloolaba is on his fourth Maverick/Patrol tray back TD42. He bought them all new, turboed them from new (latest is GU factory turbo) and drives them at only one speed (Flatout- usually with a big load on) He trades them in approaching 400,000km and has literally never put a spanner to any of them apart from oil/filters and normal ROUTINE maintennance.
He sold one to a mate and it's now over 500,000km still no problems.
That is reliability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
AnswerID: 14332

Reply By: colina - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 23:56

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 23:56
Hi

I just bought a ST3.0 turbo diesel auto and have done 2500kms so far.

THe economy is good with the first fill up of 110 litres getting me about 1025kms . (10,7l/100kms)

power is ok ( i am used to driving a falcon which is way faster), but the engine is fine. passing at 100kms/hr is more tricky,

ride is rougher and takes a while to get used to (i am used to it now)

cornering and handling is good.(i like it more then the cruiser in this regard)

seat adjustment, is good all controls are good

its fun to drive, the kids like it and I am looking forward to some good times in it. I am really happy with it! (being a perfectionist mechanical engineer, thats saying something!)

it tows effortlessly. I actually scared the $#@$# out of my self when I got to work the other day , walked around the back of ther car and was shocked to see a trailer there (forgot to take it off the day before),

just as well i didnt do any backing up. YOu cannot perceive anything while towing,
at this stage no bad vibes.

good luck
AnswerID: 14600

Sponsored Links