Need for a winch?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 14, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 361 Views:1943 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling the Gibb River Road in October and were wondering if we will need to take a winch. The conditions will be hot and dry and I am not certain if getting bogged/stuck is at all likely?

Any suggstions/comments welcome please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joseph baz - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2001 at 00:00
Greg you dont need a winch if you planing to follow the Gibb River Rd,however if while you there you like to see Mitchell Plateau and you travelling late in the year,close to the wet season it may come in handy but is quite an expense.
Happy travelling
Joe
AnswerID: 889

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2001 at 00:00

Greg,

You shouldn't need a winch for this trip. Having said that, I am very conservative and I would always bring along some form of winch "just in case". There is after all the outside chance that you might turn your truck or trailer over on its side, or the wet might spring a big surprise on you etc etc.

You can pick up second hand Tirfors for around $300 so the cost is not huge. You can also sell them for the same money after your trip as well.

Enjoy the trip!

Joe
AnswerID: 894

Reply By: Cliff - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Greg,I was over there oct 2000. When in a new area I check out all the local vehicles....not a winch in sight! The only trucks decked out with half a shop of accessories had NSW & Vic plates,The locals have no need for them.
AnswerID: 901

Reply By: BARRIE - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2001 at 00:00

Greg - doubt it very much - reasonable road earlier this year - if you can get your hands on a good 2nd hand one and have the space good and well however dont worry otherwise . happy touring.
AnswerID: 902

Reply By: John - Thursday, Aug 16, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 16, 2001 at 00:00
Greg:
THINK:

You don't "need" insurance, you can get away with bald tyres, and as for rego, why bother!
Your question as to whether you need a winch to travel over a "road"-----if you don't want to buy one - why ask? It's all fairly simple --- its insurance against the chances of needing one when you haven't got one!!

THE ANSWER IS GET ONE IF YOU THINK YOU MIGHT NEED IT!
Sorry to be so blunt:

John Sullivan
AnswerID: 914

Follow Up By: Burt - Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00
John - I think thats what he was asking - whether he needed to buy one based on the experiences of other people who had been to the area. This is the idea of a forum. John: THINK: We dont "need" responses like yours. Cheers Burt
FollowupID: 264

Sponsored Links