12V DC Outlet at the back

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 22:33
ThreadID: 3613 Views:1702 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am investigating the best way to put an additional 12V DC outlet at the back of my KZN185 HiLux Surf to run a fridge. One of the possibilities is to put it right next to the CD Stacker. I'm planning to use the CD Stacker's mounting bracket, drill a hole there to mount the 12V DC socket, therefore the 12V outlet and the CD Stacker will be literally less than 1cm apart !! I intend to even use the same common earth as well.

Can anyone tell me whether I am going to have any problems with the interference of the CD music signal by the electrical noise from the fridge current draw ? I was going to run the power extension cable alongside with the CD music signal cable bunch.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers. CC.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:16

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:16
CC, some fridges have inverters which have the potential to emit signals which could be picked up by audio equipment. Trial and error will determine if there is a problem before you do your installation. I wouldn't use a common earth. That is likely to increase the risk of interference and also reduced power availability to the fridge. If you are running a heavy duty (say 20 amp) line, run a negative line from the battery or where its earth strap hits the chassis as well. An appropriate fuse at the battery end of the positive lead is essential.
AnswerID: 14283

Follow Up By: CC - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:45

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:45
Many thanks Bob.
FollowupID: 8568

Reply By: Bob - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:22

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:22
Be sure to run your power & earth cables as a twisted pair, this often helps.
AnswerID: 14310

Sponsored Links