HI LUX Campervan Hire for Kimberlies

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 14:17
ThreadID: 3629 Views:2336 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are planning a 30day trip from Darwin to Broome in June 2003 travelling Gibb River road, Mitchell Plateau, Bungles and Cape Leveque.
We are thinking of hiring a Toyota Hi Lux 4wd Campervan and would like opinions on their "robustness" and relative comfort for such a trip assuming of course that we take things carefully ,as we have plenty of time.
What minimum spares, if any, should we specify as part of the hire package.

We would really appreciate your comments!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tod - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:04

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:04
Trevor
You will not find a more capable and robust 4WD than a Hilux. Although a little tight in the suspension when not loaded but pretty reasonable with a load on. As for spares I would at least take radiator hoses and fan belts. Most of the cattle stations and mine sites also use hilux's as part of their fleet so spares are never a worry. I have a dual cab 4WD hilux and it has never let me down and it has seen some rough country. Also a very economical vehicle. Are you going for a petrol or diesel?

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 14468

Follow Up By: Trevor W - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:06

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:06
Thanks, Todd

Comments and good wishes much appreciated !!
I was also enquiring about whether a 4WD, single cabin, 3Litre diesel engine, Toyota Hi Lux Pop Top Campervan ( the Campervan conversion aspect concerns me a little ) is likely to be ok for my Kimberley trip given likely road conditions encountered during June in this region.
If not, wwhat type of vehicle would you recommend.
FollowupID: 8706

Follow Up By: tod - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:11

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:11
Trevor
I have'nt had any experience with the slide on campers but if you search the archives on the Gibb River Road there will be discussions there that relate to people towing camper trailers and problems they encountered. I personally don't think the slide on camper will be a problem, actually I think it's a great idea if there is plenty of storage room.
As for the 3L diesel, good choice, but remember it's not the fastest 4WD out there. The ground clearance (which you will need) is good and it's 4Wd ability is as good as any other. My Hilux has leaf suspension and is quite comfortable with a load on it. The model your taking has coil suspension and will ride a lot better. I think you have a good setup and will have a great time. Check other forums and discussion groups for more info.....you will be surprised on how much feed back you will get on other sites.
Good luck!
FollowupID: 8777

Reply By: Member - Trevor- Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:33

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:33
Thanks again Todd.
AnswerID: 14545

Reply By: Member - Trevor- Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:34

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:34
Thanks again Todd.
AnswerID: 14547

Reply By: Member - Trevor- Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:34

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:34
Thanks again Todd.
AnswerID: 14548

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:48

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:48
Trevor,

I can see no reasons why this choice would be of any concern at all. We have travelled this area several times and seen just about every 4WD vehicle under the sun out there. Provided you take it easy and enjoy yourselves you will have no problems at all. Obviously I cannot vouge for the servicability of a rented vehicle but there are plenty of people around that area during your time frame.

As for spares etc have a read of our Vehicle Requirement - Recovery gear section. Fuel, water, supplies etc are all available along the way. Also on most of these routes you can get spares and parts delivered if you need them however the hire company should take care of this should you have a vehicle problem.

Hope this helps - Just remember to enjoy yourselves out there.
AnswerID: 14561

Sponsored Links