TD42 Turbo

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 22:19
ThreadID: 3644 Views:3397 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Am looking at fitting probably either a Safari or DTS turbo to my trusty GQ TD42- any suggestions on which is better.........Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 23:14

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 23:14
Denco.

www.dencodiesel.com

thats what I have on my GQ. has more bottom end than the other 2, and ARB Sth told me this...
AnswerID: 14389

Follow Up By: David - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 14:48

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 14:48
Glad the fan job's a success
I believe I recall you're going to go intercooled-
are you going for the bonnet scoop setup or in front of the radiator
Have heard the bonnet scoop is not great at low speed (sounds logical-not much airflow) and in front of the radiator puts more heat into the radiator as the rad gets air thats already hot....
which way are you going?

Also I gather from your website you want more fuel?
If you've got more time on your hands than $ (a fair bit of time here- took me about a full weekend) you can do it on the cheap! I did it about 10 yrs ago by adapting a Gemini tank rolled on its side- got everything from the wreckers for stuff all$ and it works like a charm- gives me 52 litres extra. I pump from the "aux" tank when required into the return line (into the main tank) The original gemini fuel sender even works on the Patrol gauge- just works with a changeover relay to read the aux tank level whenever I'm pumping. Cost me LESS than $50 plus time, but works a treat!!
FollowupID: 8681

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:59

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:59
Yes going intercooler.

mate of mine makes Intercoolers.

Going with a GU bonnet scoop, $99, and then above engine Intercooler. Its the only way to get a large intercooler to fit.

If your not worried about your grill, call Total4wd Center in Epping Vic, they do an intercooler fitted $1800 thats the complete width of your grill!! You can hold the outlet in your hand after a good thrash around the block its that cool on the outlet side!!!

on the fuel tank side, Im thinking of a Aux tank from GQ petrol, should do the job, and can get one with sender the lot for $100!
FollowupID: 8721

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 13:04

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 13:04
The other thing is look how small other intercoolers are in Volume.

The DTS one is around the best, you can get DTS Intercooler and Turbo, but the bloke there when I was shoppin KNEW NOTHING!
every question I had he had to call someone and ask.. That to me is a no no.

Also remember the power figures on ALL sites are with a NEW engine, and Thick glasses!

www.dencodiesel.com and talk to them about it, they are good to talk to.

www.are.com.au is where to learn about turbos.
FollowupID: 8722

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:14

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:14
Safari with Intercooler is the way to go, a very neat fitment, Great for that long distance touring, towing a van/ trailer, in my case double horse float, and works like a charm in the bush, its worth an extra gear.

They are a tried and tested turbo and all sourced from the one shop.
AnswerID: 14399

Follow Up By: Flash - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 14:30

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 14:30
Thanks all- have been reading other posts about this incl David's from some days ago and I guess it all probably boils down to price........
Now do I go intercooled- a lot more money.....????
FollowupID: 8678

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:05

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:05
Thanks- food for thought- may have to look closely at prices........etc
Decisions decisions.?!@#$
AnswerID: 14406

Reply By: nugget - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 00:33

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 00:33
I have a Safari / Intercooler turbo system on my 1990 Patrol. It was a second hand system I fitted myself. Intercooler was a bit of a drama (have to trim the grill alot, cut holes etc), time consuming more than anything else. It performs quite well now but must say that the brochure figures of 140 KW and 420 NM are somewhat optimistic. Havent driven a Patrol with turbo only so not sure if intercooler gives that much more grunt. I would say that performance has increased about 30% over standard with my Safari / intercooler system in real terms. In all honesty I would be hard pressed spending around $6000 as quoted, for a new system fitted. I would though seriously consider turbo only option for about $2500 less. (I only fitted my system because I got it for $1500 second hand, otherwise it would still be normally aspirated, and I would still be cursing whenever I approached a decent hill.)
AnswerID: 14464

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:46

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:46
Intercoolers are nearly as much as the Turbo! They are expensive, then factor in a bonnet scoop, and mounting/hole in bonnet :o

Are they worth it? Depends on your conditions and driving.

To me YES.. Im getting a bleep in good deal on one... Bigger and better and cheaper than Safari/DTS..

Arent I AWILL4x4?? :)
AnswerID: 14511

Follow Up By: David - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 18:43

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 18:43
would your mate make two??
FollowupID: 8754

Sponsored Links