Heater for Tent; Camper or Van

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 15:51
ThreadID: 36504 Views:10008 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This is a report on a flameless catalytic heater, for tents; campers and vans.

Having just returned from 3 weeks in western Qld (mid July), some of the nights were fairly (read extremely) cold. So - we decided to look into gas heaters.

The standard heater screws onto a gas cylinder, and burns noisily while glowing red hot (+ flame). A reflector plate directs the heat foward.
We noticed a new type of heater in the camping stores - using a catalyst.
It boasts no flame; gentle heat with the fumes being mainly water vapour and CO2. (there is one previous post on this type).

As you know, most cars use a catalyst in their exhausts. The purpose is to reduce the harmful gases (Nitrous Oxides). As the N-O exhaust gases pass over the surface of the catalyst, they are held long enough for the Oxygen molocules to bond, and release, then the Nitrogen bond together and release. You start with a noxious gas, and end with two harmless gases - Oxygen and Nitrogen.

The heater works in a similar manner. The propane gas ( C3 H8) flows over the surface of the catalyst (Platinum). The oxygen from the air combines with the propane to produce heat + H2O + CO2.
The reaction temperature is significantly below the ignition point of the propane - hence no flame.
The head is about 8" (20cm) in diameter, so the heat is radiated from a fairly large surface. I had it alight last night and the only output is a soft, almost inaudible hiss; the heat, and a few small sections glowing a very dull red (only visible because at night all the lights were off).

The web site states it will run 7 hours on the small 16.4 oz cylinder.
You do need to light it to start - appartently the catalyst needs to be at a certain temperature for the reaction to begin. This takes about 10 seconds.

So - for all those campers who want more toys - here is a high tech one that works well...........................regards..............Keith

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 18:45

Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 18:45
Hi Keith. We have just got one of these heaters. Have not used it yet But are heading out
in 7 days. We had a tent type camper and have now changed to a Goldstream
camper. Our way of thinking was sitting in the camper watching a movie and have a little bit of heating. It does get cool at night, but in the old camper my bottle of
Drambuie warmed me up. Brian
AnswerID: 187458

Follow Up By: Troop-a-dour - Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:05

Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:05
Hi Brian
Why not stay at home??
FollowupID: 444889

Reply By: chump_boy - Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 19:09

Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 19:09
I dunno about everyone else, but I never saw the need for a heater in a tent / camper....

When I knew it was going to be cold, I took along a tall blonde girl. Worked for me! (and it's still working after 13 years with the same blonde...)

Cheers,

Chris
AnswerID: 187464

Follow Up By: Lyds- Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 20:04

Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 20:04
but you can easily replace a heater if it develops a gas problem :-)
FollowupID: 444762

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 22:00

Sunday, Aug 06, 2006 at 22:00
We have a Coleman Procat, which we find not as hot as our old " fit on top of bottle unit ", but it is enough to make tent/camper comfortable and it is quiet and economical with no noticeable fumes. The procat also has a fan booster which runs on 2 d size btteries.
We have used it on coleman disposable bottles and get arround 7 hrs to a bottle, but recently bought the coleman hose and run it off a gas bottle, and i think it works better.
Havent let it run overnight while we are asleep yet but have seen posts on other forums where lots do, as it has a safety cutout if flame goes out, this is something else i like about the gas bottle as it can also be turned off so you get an extra safety measure.
Guess I am worried about 'waking up dead' if there is a gas leak over night!
Am happy with unit.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 187513

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:06

Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:06
Pesty,

What a Gem....."Waking up Dead".....LMAO.

Generally, I only camp where I can have a camp fire and that warms me up until I go to bed. Once in bed, we find we are warm enough and failing the call of nature, stay in our little cocoon until daybreak.

On the rare occasions where no campfire has been possible, we sit under the annex with the Cobb cooker burning and have taken that into the tent area on the odd occasion.

For us, that is sufficient and as we don't have kiddies, safe enough.

But, the catalytic type heater sounds like a great alternative and I will keep it in the back of my mind, so that presented with grand children and assuming dementure doesn't kick-in in the meantime, we know there is another solution.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 187605

Follow Up By: Jugs - Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 15:51

Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 15:51
Saw an interesting unit at Agquip and another one similar but different brand at the 4WD show. designed for boats caravans ect. ran on diesel and had an internal burner chamber similar to jet engine design small flame very efficient then an air to air heat exchanger all the exhaust was ducted out side and only internal air was heated and blown back out so very safe. We had an High end Inferred camera with us so pointed it at the unit. very efficient heaps of heat and a ~1 lt of diesel ran it all day.

Jugs
FollowupID: 444933

Follow Up By: Turist (The Original One) - Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 16:03

Monday, Aug 07, 2006 at 16:03
Most likely a Webasto.
If the budget permits the best van/camper/tent heater you can get.

Bob
FollowupID: 444935

Sponsored Links