Gibb River Road in December

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 18:52
ThreadID: 3657 Views:1548 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

my partner and I will be travelling in the top end in November/December. We hope to be driving a 4wd HJ60 diesel, probably without any major modifications.

Is it feasible to drive the GRR in the first half of December? All the guide books tell you to visit mid winter, but for reasons I won't explain, we can only be there in the first 2 weeks of December.

Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like, and if there will be many other people travelling this route at this time of year?

btw, we do not intent to take the mitchell plateau turn-off.

thanks,

spinach/
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JohnS - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 19:18

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 19:18
Spinich,
Conditions along the GRR (or anywhere in the Kimberley) are absolutely the worst. Extreme heat, high humidity and rains will likely have started up un the central and northern parts by then. This wet season the GRR was closed at Barnett River before Xmas and remains so now. The GRR has remained open through Dec east of Gibb River and the Kalumbaru and Mitchell Plateau Rds seem to have stayed open with only very short closures due to flash flooding.

You will still find many things to see around the Kimberley at that time even though there is a risk that various roads & tracks will be closed.

The locals have a hard time being civilised to each other during Dec as the oppressive heat and humidity is relentless with day after day ranging from about 30 at 5.00am to 40+ after lunch. Most look for some place aircond and stay there. Many tourist businesses are closing down for the wet, reducing staff, etc.

We still see a few tourists come through at that time but they look a bit like they are on their way some else (heading south !).

You can still have an interesting holiday and all basic services are available, but I trust I have set your expectations. The weather will be the one thing you won't forget about on your holiday!

JohnS
Derby, WA

AnswerID: 14440

Sponsored Links