Which winch is best

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 366 Views:4668 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at buying a winch but I am having trouble deciding on electric or hydraulic. Though slower the hydraulic seems to be able to winch longer than the electric due to no overheating. I have heard that some owners of hydraulic types have had trouble with the solenoid not releasing and the winch not stopping. Can anyone suggest which type is type is better as far as trouble free operation is concerned.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeremy - Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00
I have used and fitted a OX Hydraulic winch and can't fault them! !!!! PULL ALL DAY ! I find the 10 000 lb a better one has a thicker cable and seems to work easier but that depends on what vehicle you are putting it on ! I have a 9000lb Warn Electric which was on my car when i got it !, but i would never buy one !! For starters most batteries don't have the snot to run an electric winch !, i run a tripple management system with Delkor calcium batteries which work OK, but 90% of batteries will only run them about 50% of possible output !, Sure there rope speen is better but you are ment to rest a electric winch every 5 mins of operation so it dos'nt get to hot !!! and as for the people that say "but you can't run the winch if the engine's not going " this is corect but if you have an electric winch with out the engine going it would only pull for a couple of min's !!! and if that is enough to get you out it most definatly won't start your car !
Hope that helps !!! HYDRAULICS ARE PROVEN WORLD WIDE !
AnswerID: 922

Follow Up By: Mike - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00
Boy the hydraulic winch must work well without the engine running!! Having used electric winches extensively with SES and on my own truck, I have never had Problems, sure the engine must be running, but that is just basic logic. The other rule is that your electrical cables can deteriorate over time so they must be up to scratch.
FollowupID: 267

Reply By: Dave - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
I currently own a 9000lb warn electric low mount winch it worked well for the first few times but now i wish i had purchased a hydraulic winch as the electric one died a premature death even though it was regulary seviced and cleaned. It has recently been totaly rebuilt but will still only run at 75% power even though it is backed by three new extreme duty batteries. The only problem that i have been told of with hydraulic winchs is that your winch will stop when you turn the steering wheel
AnswerID: 949

Reply By: jeremy - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
Hydraulic winches have a valve that prioratise you steering !!!...... hence your winch will not stop but slow unil you get your steering straight !
Good Luck !
AnswerID: 953

Sponsored Links