Holden Jackaroo

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 19, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 367 Views:5935 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1998 Jackaroo 3.5 lit petrol and am planning to tour Australia soon towing a 1700kg Caravan, does anyone have any information on if a Transmission cooler will be needed and also what would be the best Tyres for this trip, I will be mainly on the main routes but obviuosly a bit of off road work as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00
Can't help with the trans cooler, but I run BFG A/T KOs on my 99 Jackaroo, after replacing the originals which got torn apart in the Flinders. (4 punctures in first 3 day trip, after 15000 kms) BFGs have now done over 42000 kms without a puncture. They handle well & didn't increase noise on blacktop noticably. They have handled Birdsville Track x2, Oodnadatta Tr x2, Strezlecki Tr, Pedurka Tr, Tibooburra to Innamincka via Warri warri Gate & the Simpson Desert. I am also happy with them in all weather conditions on the blacktop where they spend 85% of their life. Sure they are not the cheapest. but I've tried others (on previous truck) & you get what you pay for. Interestingly on the last trip down B/ville Track we got a puncture which turned out to be the alloy rim. A stone had jammed between the rim & brake disc, denting & putting a small (about 10mm)tear in the rim. Happy trail, Mike.
AnswerID: 934

Reply By: ron - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2001 at 00:00
David,

I tow a 14.6 Sunchaser poptop with the standard transmission features of an 2000 SE TD Auto
Jackaroo which does not include a transmission cooler. My local dealer tells me they have no external
transmission cooler, but the transmission oil is cooled by passing it through the raditor.
I can't understand how that works but I can say that on the one long trip of around 2000km
through the Grampians, Portland, Mt Gambier and north to Renmark on roads that are generally
undulating I sensed no apparent heating of the transmission. That road had just a few long steep
climbs of around 1-2 km but nothing that placed the setup under any extended stress.

When conditions allow" Jack" will tow our unit along at 100 km right on 2000 revs on the flat and
I drive in power mode with the overdrive on and cruise control and it seems to just purr along.

Certainly does not work as hard nor appear to place anything like the load the same van did
on our FORMER 97 El Falcon. In that vehicle we covered over 35,000 km with the van in tow
in all conditions without any transmission problems other than to replace a 59 cent oil seal which
was poorly fitted during routine service. It had no extra transmission cooler fitted and you
could feel the transmission tunnel was warm but it never ever let us down. I doubt you need one
but ask your local dealer if the transmission is covered by warranty when towing below the
nominated maximum 2500kg weight. I understand it is and therefore assume right or wrong
that the transmission is built to do the job without an additional cooler - it defies reason for
a manufacturer to allow a tow weight of 2500 kg and then require an extra cooler to be fitted.
Perhaps others may have a more mechanically based opinion In all our travels I have not heard
of a single transmission problem from any Jackeroo towing weights with the designated limits and
this reinforces my opinion that you won't/don't need one. Regarding tyres I certainly would not change
them until the factory fitted one wear out if you do as we do and only make the occasional sortie off road.
If you want to get into regular seriously tough ground you might need something stronger but unless
you tow a specifically built off road van you'll leave it parked some place anyway when you venture
onto the rougher stuff. My mate's Pathfinder had no trouble with standard tyres travelling to Cape
Leveque or along the Gibb River Road and the Karratha- Karijini (Hammersley Iron Road) which are
probably as rough on tyres as you might get - he didn't so much as get a puncture - maybe lucky
maybe the fact that he doesn't rip and tear along. I certainly wouldn't be changing tyres as
long as they are sound and roadworthy. Hope this helps - go for it!

AnswerID: 936

Reply By: Trev - Friday, Aug 24, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 24, 2001 at 00:00
Jackaroos fitted with an auto trans have a transmission cooler fitted inside the radiator. The transmission fluid passes through a coil which is immersed in the coolant. This setup has some advantages over the more common externally mounted cooler which resembles a small radiator.
Firstly the trans reaches operating temperature quicker. Secondly the transmission fluid is maintained at the correct temperature by the coolant and is not subject to variations in the ambient temperature. Thirdly the cooler is not mounted in the airflow where it can be damaged by stones, animals etc. Manual gearboxes do not have a cooler.
Jackaroos are also fitted with an engine oil cooler. It is incorporated in the housing that the oil filter screws into. A pair of hoses take coolant from the radiator through the cooler and back again.
Regarding tyres, like most people we know who take Jackaroos off road we use BF Goodrich A/T KO.
Have a good trip.
Trev
AnswerID: 957

Sponsored Links