HF Antenna locations

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 14:39
ThreadID: 3671 Views:2024 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of a resource that covers the various state regulations on permissable location of the big fat long range HF antennas (such as the Codan long black pole and the Barrett somewhat chunkier version ?
I have the specs re keeping them away from metal etc. but it seems that some states won't wear the ideal (performance) front mounting ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:12

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 16:12
There is a Codan users list on YahooGroups - you could try asking them?
AnswerID: 14503

Follow Up By: Member - Motley - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 23:02

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 23:02
Troopie,

I have tried to find a Yahoo Group that has this information. No luck. Do you have any more detail on the name of the Group?

Thanks

Motley
FollowupID: 8816

Follow Up By: Troopie - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:20

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:20
G'day Motley
Check out:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CODAN_outback_radio/
If the link doesn't work - the title is "codan_outback_radio" and is in the "radio" category of YahooGroups.

Cheers
FollowupID: 8824

Reply By: fred - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:23

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 17:23
I emailed Transport SA and asked the question - don't have the reply now but in essence it said these units should not be mounted on the front of the vehicle if they extend above the bonnet line - think this was a national road rules rule
AnswerID: 14507

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:02

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:02
Mixo
Legalities aside the trend these days is to avoid any projections forward of the bullbarwhich could cause personal injury. Another consideration would be the high risk of damage to an expensive piece of equipment in the event of a mishap plus a bullbar would be the highest point of vibration on the whole vehicle.
If you have a rear mounted spare wheel carrier i,ve seen some beaut installations, which are safe and give the added benefit of clear vision and some protection to the antenna base. Though the base loading will be below roof level the whip should be in the clear and still perform well.
It would be interesting to hear actual users responses.

Cheers
Bob L

AnswerID: 14521

Reply By: firey - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 22:46

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 22:46
Mixo, I believe that in Queensland anything that extends above the bonnet line is illeagal due to the line of sight from the drivers seat reasoning. I have only ever seen them mounted on the bullbars of most fwd's but remember reading an article about if their in use they are not illeagal. It's much the same as rod holders if you haven't got a rod in them and your not on the beach theirs a fare chance of a fine. Hope this helps
Regard's Firey
AnswerID: 14535

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:10

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:10
I asked a Qld cop once up in Bamaga why they can have them mounted on the bullbar and he said "because we can". I've mounted mine on the rear driver's side of the roof rack and made it so it can fold foward to the horizontal position along the side of the rack which is how it is when I'm travelling. It still works but not all that well. When I want to use it I stop for a stubbie and raise it to vertical, or if I have stopped to camp I raise it.
Works for me.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 14552

Reply By: mitch - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 14:16

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 14:16
Gday all ive got a auto tune Codan on the front of my 60 mounted on the base of the bull bar,about 40% sticks above the top of the bar( the thick auto tune part then the whip is on top of that).To check the performance of my aerial in this position l tuned the radio into 774 3LO and listening to it l grabbed the whip which interfeired with the signal,l ran my hand down the whip and then the tuning section untill i could hear the radio again.the point at which the signal returned was just above the top rail of the bullbar,so l felt that mounting in this way didnt effect the incoming signal too much. Outging,l can talk to VKS737 in Perth from Central Vic at dusk and lesser ranges at other times so l would say its working OK. l know its illegal there but its the best compremise for useability and at the price l like to see where it is . MITCH
AnswerID: 14664

Reply By: Member - Mixo - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:39

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:39
Thanks to the contributors on this one..... will take delivery of a Barrett 950 in a day or so.....seems the best plan (for peace of mind) is to go rear mount - a bloke in SA does brackets for a few makes - will shoot over and see him. Spoke to Barrett in WA - correct rear mounting is seen as good....also, the body of these auto tune antennas has to be at least 160mm away from ANY metal objects.Thanks all round.
AnswerID: 14668

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 23:13

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 23:13
In queensland they are recommend to be at the rear of the vehicle, but they can be mounted on the passengers side of the bullbar, but should be mounted "as low as possible". I guess that means on the base of the bullbar, not on the top bar, but all Qld police vehicles have them mounted on the top of the bullbar, so go figure.
AnswerID: 14698

Sponsored Links