Travel info

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 21:12
ThreadID: 3697 Views:2194 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
For those of you who may be interested in more info and travel stories on treks around the country you can go to my website www.kempen.id.au In the 4x4 section there are 18 articles I wrote from 1987 to 1996 that were published in 4x4 Australia Magazine and a few more unpublished ones. 9 of the articles have photos included. Here is the list:

Canning Stock Route Diary
Douglas River NT
Eastern MacDonnells NT
Spinifex TrailSimpson Desert North/South Crossing
Ruby Gap NT
Fitzmaurice River NT
Fern Falls NT
Palm Creek NT
Cobourg Peninsula NT
Litchfield NT
Davenport Range NT
Rainbow Valley NT
Far North Kimberley WA
Gregory National Park NT
Chasing the Shadow SA
One day in the WET (a 4x4 tale)
Kakadu NT
Dreamtime and Diggers (Kakadu Stage 3)

Cheers, W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:34

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 22:34
Do you have any info on the Connie Sue hwy in W.A we plan to travel it in August ? , Thanks for all your other info Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 14595

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:05

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:05
Peter, Sorry can't help you there. That is still a track to take when I get permission from my other half and after the next trip, maybe :-) Cheers, W
FollowupID: 8828

Reply By: Will - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:58

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:58
Willem,
I have been reading them with interest!!!

It is amazing how your experiences with unprepared travelers keep repeating... I always find unprepared travellers along the way and I keep asking myself maybe I am over prepared....

Will
AnswerID: 14612

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:27

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:27
Will,

I met a bloke once who carried two chain saws and two axes and pretty much two of everything else. His Troopy weighed about 5 ton!!!

My philosophy is to keep it simple when travelling. I have however about 99% of all the gear that is essential . On top of that, if attempting a serious off road trip I carry a tin of nuts and bolts, tek screws, portable drill, welding rods, soldering iron. I run 750x16 tyres with tubes, carry an extra spare tyre and tube, but not a spare rim, plus an additional tube and all the necessary puncture repair gear. Fit all of this, plus a 32lt Engel fridge in an ancient Nissan MWB G60 without a roofrack and you have a challenge on your hands. WE sleep inside the NIssan as well. I carry only 40-60 litres of water but I plan my trip so that I should be able to replenish water every couple of days.

I find that if you keep your vehicle in good running condition and carry the necessary survival gear then you could go on a trip without stressing out and have a good time. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 8830

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:27

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:27
Will,

I met a bloke once who carried two chain saws and two axes and pretty much two of everything else. His Troopy weighed about 5 ton!!!

My philosophy is to keep it simple when travelling. I have however about 99% of all the gear that is essential . On top of that, if attempting a serious off road trip I carry a tin of nuts and bolts, tek screws, portable drill, welding rods, soldering iron. I run 750x16 tyres with tubes, carry an extra spare tyre and tube, but not a spare rim, plus an additional tube and all the necessary puncture repair gear. Fit all of this, plus a 32lt Engel fridge in an ancient Nissan MWB G60 without a roofrack and you have a challenge on your hands. WE sleep inside the NIssan as well. I carry only 40-60 litres of water but I plan my trip so that I should be able to replenish water every couple of days.

I find that if you keep your vehicle in good running condition and carry the necessary survival gear then you could go on a trip without stressing out and have a good time. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 8831

Sponsored Links