Installing a snorkel .... help!

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:33
ThreadID: 3715 Views:2564 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to fit a snorkel to a 1996 Landrover Discovery 300tdi (with ABS brakes just to make it harder). I am happy about most of the instructions, even the scary bit about drilling the big hole and small holes for the fixing bolts. However, neither the instructions that come with it, nor anything I can find on the net, mention that when you drill these holes you just end up in the cavity over the wheel arch, therefore you must have to drill two big holes to get through to the air filter box. Also, how do you get to the back of the bolt holes to insert and tighten the bolts? More largish holes?

I remember a few months ago seeing some pretty good step by step instructions somewhere, including photos. I though it was on this Forum but Search can't find anything.

Can anyone offer advice?

Greydemon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:38

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:38
For the $100 I was quoted to fit one last week, I would pay it.

I know someone who got the wrong template for his car, no comeback on the company, just an extra hole in his guard...
AnswerID: 14639

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 11:10

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 11:10
Hi Greydemon,
I've just done a TD5, so I hope the experience is similar. The airbox already had a pipe coming from it that then went through the side of the engine bay and into the top of the inside guard. The hole should already be there for the air to get through, the only hole I had to put in that inside panel was for a rivit to hold a flange that was siliconed in place. To get to the bolts on the inside of the snorkel, I firstly loctited the threaded rod into the snorkel, removed the plastic wheel lining guard from inside the wheel well, then this gave good access to the back of the guard panel. When everything was siliconed up then just put the nylocs on and did them up. remember to use lots of silicon everywhere the air passes and trust the template. BTW, a 16mm drill as required by Safari will cost about $50 or so, I did all of mine with a 12mm drill and it worked perfectly, and also trust the template, they are good. Also dont centrepuch the panels, the aluminium will just deflect, just use a 1 or 1.5mm drill bit and lots of masking tape.

I cant help with the D1, but if you try www.disco2.com there is a good article in there. www.discoweb.org may also have something, not sure.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 14714

Reply By: Lloydy - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 21:11
Greydemon

I tend to agree with Truckster on this one for a little extra on top of the snorkel you can get it fitted by someone.

Other things to remember though that the air filter box (on mine anyway) is square. The wheel stop wont fit over the kjack anymore.
The jack is going to moved anyway to fit a second battery. The square filter minimises the size of battery.

I have a V8 so not sure if the setup under the bonnet of a diesel is any different.

Regards

P.S Hello Slunnie long time no speak
AnswerID: 14744

Follow Up By: greydemon - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:54

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:54
Thanks Lloyd & Slunnie,

Your comments are much appreciated. I am fitting a second battery so will have to enter the filter box from the side. The jack has been relocated next to the fuse box and the wheel stop has been relocated to the shed!

Nick
FollowupID: 8924

Sponsored Links