Gear box breather help

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 18:00
ThreadID: 3745 Views:2190 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if you can fit a breather line to the gear box and t/case on the 80 series landcruiser ? (similar to diff breather)
Im sure its on top but can't get to it , can you drop the gear box mount ?
Any ideas would be good short of cuting a hole in the floor above the gear box !!!

Kev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 21:21
Kev, Have thought of doing this too, but that's as far as it's got. On checking workshop manual, it appears that 80 series already has breather tubes, though it looks like it is only the constant 4 wheel drives. The standard has similar set-up to 75 series. The breather is situated on top of section between front of t/case and g/box. 75 & 79 series suffer from a lot of mud getting caught up around breather, wouldn't be surprised if this causes many transmission problems.

If you take out bolts on rear cross member, on chassis rails, and lower rear of transmission on a jack, you should be able to get enough room to check position of rear breather/fit breather hose. A 90 degree elbow would be best if fitting a breather hose, for clearance. Just be careful the lower blades on cooling fan don't hit the lower cores of radiator, as you lower the tranny. Can check just how good your front engine mounts are doing this too.

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 14801

Follow Up By: Kev. - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 19:26

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 19:26
Thanks Bob Y , i might drop the box down and see next weekend.
Let you know how i go.
FollowupID: 8988

Reply By: wazza - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:35
Kev,

Try here:

http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/80_series_technical.html

and more sprecifically, here:

http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/breathers.html

Quote:

"I used T fittings into the rear line to also take a breather from the gearbox/transfer. The breather on the gearbox ends at the top of the bell housing at the rear of the engine. Its had to find but you can run your hand along the top and feel it. I unclipped the end from the last fitting on the box and pushed on the new line and joined it into the rear line. "

Wazza
AnswerID: 14912

Reply By: Wazza - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:27

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:27
Kev,

How did it go? Might do mine soon...Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 15804

Follow Up By: Kev. - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 19:36

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 19:36
Hi Wazza,
Easer than i thought , just use the hose already there above the g/box and extend it up higher.
What i did was to remove the breather from behind the engine head(not easy as theres not much room) and use it at the end of the extension hose (after removing the rubber flap) and all done .
But found the rubber gear shift boot was loose that would allow water in too.
Ive just explaned some of this on a new thread started today on this site !

Hey , if you want to know more or want pics , email me.

kev5@austarnet.com.au

kev.
FollowupID: 9636

Sponsored Links