Nissan 3.0l diesel

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 04:38
ThreadID: 3754 Views:1529 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Nissan 3.0l oil in diesel/ECU light flashing.

First we bled the oil filter of water, then replaced it, but still the indicator (check engine warning lamp) still intermittantly flashes. By the process of deduction, according to the manual, the problem can now only mean that each flash is a fault code being recorded by the ECU. Fine. The manual also says that if you bridge terminals 1 and 8 of the 'diagnosis connector' , the vehicle (by morse code on the dash) will tell you what is causing the flashing (a self diagnosis of fault codes).

BUT, the resident home mechanic (used to looking at an engine and seeing the ground) is reluctant to bridge the terminals to ask the car what hell is its problem - in case he stuffs something. Now I am the bookworm and realise that theory and reality are often leagues apart, but it seems so simple the manual?? Advice appreciated.

Cheers, Karen + Mark

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:47

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:47
Hi Karen and Mark
The computer may just need resetting. To achieve this you have disconnect the earth lead first for auxially battery and then from the main battery, wait 30 secs, you will hear a distint "click", then reconnect the main earth lead and then the auxiallary. This fixed the light flashing on mine after fixing the filter
Ray
AnswerID: 14816

Follow Up By: Karen+Mark - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 02:58

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 02:58
Hi Raymond.

We will try it but first I want to (but abit scared to) connect terminals 1-8 of the diagnosis connector' to find out what faults have been registered in case something serious is wrong (while it is still under warranty). The car is a 'dream' and being a Patrol doubt a major problem. Once I am satisfied that the fault light is a red herring I will gladly try your solution - thank-you so much for your post.

Also, I am just the bookworm here and last time I looked in the engine there was only one battery?

Cheers, Karen + Mark
FollowupID: 9113

Follow Up By: Raymond from Wanderin 4 Wheelers - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:27

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:27
Hi Karen and Mark
If you only have one battery much easier, just disconnect the earth for 30 secs. Out of interest that was the first thing the Nissan dealer did when I took it to them. The lights went back to normal and no further problems, as it is under warrantee just take it to the dealer, they should fix it with no problems
Ray
FollowupID: 9116

Follow Up By: Karen+Mark - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:14

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:14
Hey Ray,

We bought the Patrol from a car yard and I think the 3 month warranty (or 5000ks) only covers 'major defects'. regardless thank you so much for your info - greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Karen and Mark
FollowupID: 9169

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 20:50

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 20:50
Karen+Mark

I do not have a manual so could you please tell us what the possible outcomes are based on the morse code signals.

I had the same engine management light come on and Nissans computer could only deduce a fault code that in no way indicated the the problem would be fixed by replacing the fuel filter. I know that ha not worked for you but I am curious about the codes.

Does the engine rev cleanly right up until power drops off after 4500rpm??. This could indicate a fuel delivery problem which can bring the light on.

Good luck and hope you are able to sort it

Sean
AnswerID: 14871

Follow Up By: Karen+Mark - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:15

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:15
Hi Sean,

OK, according to the Gregorys manual that we borowed from the library (and I am a bookworm with NO mechanical knowledge) the light comes on if there is EITHER a) water in the diesel OR b) a fault is being registered/recorded by the ECU. By replacing the diesel filter, if (a) was the problem it should have been fixed. But no, our light flashing must be (b) a fault being recorded by the ECU.

So regarding your query on the codes - there are 28 codes that can be flashed on the dash by our very smart car. Seven have to do with the injection pump, six relate to the ECU and its relays, the rest involve sensors or switches eg. air flow, coolant temp, vehicle speed, throttle pedal, cooling fan, fuel temp, throttle pedal position, intake air volume, crankshaft position, battery voltage, intake air pressure etc.

And as for your last query, I am under strick instructions NOT TO RED LINE IT so I have no idea what happens after 4500rpm. But - driving it like the precious baby it is, the light flashes on after every bump or corregation in the road.

If you are still interested in the self diagnosis chapter you can probably borrow the manual from your local library (No. 519) or I would be quite happy to send you a copy of the appropriate pages. Simply let me know your address on k_rudkin@hotmail.com but make sure you entitle it Patrol Manual or something like that or it will end up being deleted with my junk mail.

Cheers, Karen+Mark.
FollowupID: 9115

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 20:17

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 20:17
Karen+mark

thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me the publisher of the manual so I can get one myself.

Reving up to redline will not hurt the motor. In fact - in 1st gear it is so easy to do that it happens if your not careful.

I have the same vehicle, and I am curious as to what your provlem is so would appreciate it if you could keep me up to date.

Sean

AnswerID: 15324

Follow Up By: Karen+Mark - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:09
Hi Sean,
Thanks for your response. The manual I quoted is not at hand at the moment (back in the local library) so I am not sure about publisher, however it should be readily available at the local library, bookstore or automotive shop (seen for $39.95) under the banner of 'Gregorys' (as in the makers of the equivalent of the Qld Refedex).

Relieved to hear that my one almost redline gear change (in 1st) has not hurt the 'pride and joy'.

As the boy is from the old school, he tracked down a leak of diesel/oil (can't recall) from under the front diff to a blocked breather and when rectified seems to have solved the flashing light problem. I know nothing about cars but are hanging to connect the 'self diagnosis' plugs so the car can tell us what is/may have been wrong as I am not convinced. Call me a dizzy scientist.

Will keep you informed of developments.

Cheers, Karen + Mark
FollowupID: 9347

Sponsored Links