Discovery cutting out

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 377 Views:1364 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My Series I V8 Discovery cuts out in traffic for no apparent reason and then refuses to restart for about 5 minutes. Does anyone have any clues as to why it does this and how to remedy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
I don't have a Disco, but the problem sounds like fuel starvation, where the engine requires more fuel than can be provided, so it simply stops. This then enables the supply to build up again, so the engine can be restarted.
It could be caused by a clogged fuel filter, a blockage or leak in the fuel lines, or the fuel pump not delivering the required amount. Another possibility is a partial vacuum in the tank, caused by the tank vent line being blocked or kinked. Does the problem occur if the petrol cap is loosened or removed? Some vehicles have a small vent hole in the cap which can block.
AnswerID: 946

Follow Up By: Dean - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thank you Trevor for your response. I have tried loosening the petrol cap but no improvement. I will try the other things you have suggested along with other ideas from other people responding to my question. I have the car booked in for Monday next and I will run your ideas past them.
FollowupID: 273

Reply By: Kelly Green - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Dean,
Has the car been running rough? Apart from checking fuel line problems, you may have a faulty air flow meter or sensors such as a coolant control sensor.
Kelly
AnswerID: 948

Thank you Kelly very much for taking the time to respond to my query. I have the car booked in next Monday and will run that past them. Unfortunately, you need to diagnose your own problems. If you can diagnose it, they can fix it but not otherwise. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 274

Reply By: jeremy - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Has your disco got keyles entry and imobiliser ???...... If so the impbiliser can isolate the fuel pump and if system stuffs up can imobilise you utill it deside to work again !??
AnswerID: 952

Thanks for responding Jeremy. Anything is possible. In fact I read an article in the RACV journal the other day that was talking about the tendency for Discovery remote control units to fail due to radio signals in the vicinity. I have had some trouble with the alarm come to think of it and there may be some connection. Thanks once again.
FollowupID: 275

Sponsored Links