Trailers and the Simpson

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 378 Views:1907 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading to the centre next year via the simpson and the girl wishes to take the camper trailer.Could anyone inform me as to how much longer it will take with the trailer and if it is worth the effort.I wish to do the french line but if needs be will go the rig road
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth - Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 23, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Dave, I'm someone who lives on the edge of the Simpson Desert and sees the results of the trailers in the Simpson Desert. I see the broken trailers, vehicles and grief stricken wives when their dreams are bleep tered along the sand-dunes. As well, I'm one of the people who likes to enjoy the Desert - but not the dreadful corrugations on both sides of the sand-dunes (up and down)caused by trailers unable to be towed over the sand dunes and having to stop/start up the face of each dune and then snatched over the top. It's a lot to ask of family and a lot to ask of your vehicle. The towbars dig into the middle of the wheel tracks and act as an anchor. Why not pack your tent/or swags - leave your trailer on one or other sides of the Desert and do a double crossing - it is so beautiful out there you really don't need the hassle. Added to this, the SA Govt. is hoping to pass legislation to stop the towing of anything in the Desert. Hope this of help - I'm not trying to spoil the girl's dream - just trying to make it easier for you to enjoy a very special place.
Ruth
AnswerID: 955

Reply By: Dave Smallwood - Friday, Aug 24, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 24, 2001 at 00:00
Whatever you do, dont take the trailer!!! I've just come back from the Simpson and its no place for trailers (or even roofracks if you can help it) You'll have EXTREME trouble getting a trailer across the dunes and most likely break it. get a large tent or swag instead. Good luck, Dave
AnswerID: 962

Reply By: Graham Comitti - Saturday, Aug 25, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 25, 2001 at 00:00
I think Ruth just about says it all Dave, remember how much extra strain your putting on your tow vehicle in conditions like the simpson & CSR when towing a trailer, todays 4x4's are pretty reliable but placing this sort of strain on them is asking for a problem somewhat much quicker than it would normally occur. The expense of revove4ring vehicle or trailer from the Simpson or CSR is another thing to consider , let alone the damage caused to the track. We are doing the trip in the next couple of years, going to leave our van at Birsdsville and do 2 way xing.

cya down the track.
AnswerID: 968

Reply By: Jaap Correlje - Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00
Dave
From all reports trailers and deserts don't mix.
Suggest that you might ship the camper to the Alice and the pick it up when you get there after the desert. Most transport companies would be able to arrange this and store the camper at their depot
Have fun on the track Jaap
AnswerID: 978

Reply By: Jim Sutton - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00
I have had a lot of experience with desert travel and my advice DONT TOW a TRAILER.
AnswerID: 993

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Sep 03, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 03, 2001 at 00:00
Dave, hopefully, that question will be irellivant by then, as the govt is processing legislation to outlaw towing trailers on the Simpson. I don't often agree with this sort of law, but due to the damage being done out there by irreponsible drivers, it is necessary. As is said elswhere in this forum & others, you can tow anything anywhere if you don't give a rats about how you are tearing the track up for the responsible majority! By continuing to ignore the consequenses, we are falling into the arms of those bloody do-gooders who are looking for excuses to close everything! Don't get me wrong, I DO own a Kimberly Kamper, I will just leave it at Birdsville when I go back into the Simpson.Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1015

Reply By: Ray Kearney - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Hi,

We did this trip in 1999 with a GQ patrol, Hilux and a Troopy, we travelled on the Rig Road for most of the trip and then crossed onto the French Line. I've no doubt that others have taken trailers across but boy would it be more work for you and the vehicle. Depends on the vehicle you have and the loads you will be carrying. Also without another vehicle to snatch you over the bigger dunes you will be struggling.
AnswerID: 1043

Sponsored Links