NP Pajero Problem

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:11
ThreadID: 37897 Views:16438 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Kids

Mate of mine as a fairly new Pajero and is having the problems below. It seems he is having a few other probs with the car and Mits have not been to forth coming. Further in his email he has had major probs with the stero/sat nav/tv/reversing camera in the vehicle.

It has been suggested that the answer on the engine fault is a possible turbo overboost that then makes the ecu cut the engine.

Maybe a manual boost controller to fix the problem??

Engine Light Fault (DI-D)

Engine light comes on when engine is under load. It doesn’t come on every time but it seems to be doing it more often now (6 months old, 16,000kms)
When the engine light comes on there is a sudden loss of power but engine still runs
Once the engine light comes on, it will stay on if you keep accelerating.
Engine light only goes out if you easy your foot off the accelerator
Once the light goes out and you gently accelerate again engine power returns however if you accelerate hard the light normally comes on again with same problem

Its almost like the turbo stops working or the engine isn’t getting enough fuel??? The biggest problem with this fault is that it mostly happens when I’m overtaking on the highway. This has put me in some very dangerous situations!

Finally I’ve also had this fault happen while the cruise control has been on and the car was travelling up a steep hill at 100kmph. In this situation the engine kick back to climb the hill and maintain speed but when the engine light comes on the cruise also turns itself off (totally) so the car slows pretty quickly (and scares the crap out of you at the same time!).

Any similar probs or other suggestions??

cheers

Ads
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bri - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:08

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:08
Sorry can't help much ..however I have read that the computer on some modern vehiclrs will drop in to a get you home mode when it detects a problem ....in that case you would lose some power etc etc also if you can I would look at another service outlet good luck

Bri
AnswerID: 195664

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:24

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:24
I had a similar issue on my car ('84 300zx). Everything was fine until the engine hit 2000 revs. Then it lost all power.
The problem was a small vacume tube that disconnected itself. When I put it back on the problem was fixed.

R.
AnswerID: 195669

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:28

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 11:28
Mate I'd tell him to take it to a dealer for a diagnosis.

I reckon it would be leaving a code in the computer that would tell you what's wrong.

AnswerID: 195670

Reply By: melrh - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:02
I had a similar problem with my Jackaroo, the long and the short of it was that the strainer in the fuel tank was blocking up.
The holden dealer where I bought it was of no real help at all, I had to go to a country dealer who was very symphathetic and found the problem.
As it is now out of warranty I have fitted an external fuel pump and put a ryco fuel filter between the tank and pump so if was to have any problems in between filter changes I just have to change the Ryco filter which is affordable compared with the genuine replacement, this system has been in place for year's now and so far I have not had a problem, another good point is the Bosch fuel pump (High Pressure Pump) that I fitted is heaps cheaper than the Genuine replacement. From my experience when you are trouble shooting don't try to look to deep initially, as so many times the answer is so simple, start with the simple and easy things first and work through till you hopefully find the problem.
AnswerID: 195710

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:42

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:42
I just had a similar problem with my Jackaroo 3.5 petrol. Got dirty fuel on the Cape York trip which blocked both the in-tank strainer and the filter causing the engine to misfire, getting worsr the warmer the fuel became.

I replaced the fuel pump and in-tank strainer (Bosch part from Repco $117) which was a bit of a pain as the tank had to be removed.

Can you give details of the external Bosch pump you used, and how you modified the pickup in the tank.

Cheers
FollowupID: 453875

Follow Up By: melrh - Friday, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:25

Friday, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:25
Gerhard, I will be only too happy to provide info, I'm a little bit busy right now, please give me a little time And I will find info in filing cabinet & forward it to you or better still if you would like to send a phone number to my Email address I could talk to you personally, which would be better still, happy to oblige. Kind Regards Mel
FollowupID: 454073

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:48

Friday, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:48
Thanks Mel,

Not sure what your e-mail address is mine is gerhardp1 @ optusnet.com.au or
Phone 03 95620884

Gerhard
FollowupID: 454078

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:05

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:05
If Mitsubitsi are having problems fixing this issue then I would suggest that it something simple that is giving the computer a hissy fit. Had similar problem with a tractor (not computer) but the air intake was collapsing and reducing the air intake.

If the dealer is not helpful go to another.

Neil
AnswerID: 195712

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:13

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 14:13
sell him a jackaroo....
I'll take 10% commission on the sale it was my idea
AnswerID: 195713

Reply By: Bill13 - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:00

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:00
Crazie, If you log on to Pajero 4wd club of Victoria, www.pajeroclub.com.au/ and list your grievance on the forum you will get a good reply as there are a lot of knowledgeable members on that site.
Bill
AnswerID: 195739

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:06

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 16:06
"This has put me in some very dangerous situations! "
- he should point out to Mitsubishi that under the Trade Practices Act, if you are sold goods that are not fit for purpose then you are entitled to a refund.

For more tips on how to approach Mitsubishi, he should go to chat with other Mitsu owners.
Site Link
AnswerID: 195741

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 17:15

Thursday, Sep 21, 2006 at 17:15
Try the pajero forum as above.
Sounds like fuel or air. Being a diesel that's all there is!
If not the fuel filter blocking, something must be making the wastegate dump.
Thats what a faulty waste gate feels like, a loss of power.
Could be a disconnected line as above, or a problem in the wastegate.
Not sure if your model has a manifold safety relief valve. If the waste gate is overboosting, the manifold valve does blow at about 2000rpm, so do you here a whoosh of air? That would be it.
Or a computer problem, another story and track to follow.
Have found some mitsubishi dealers a bit light on diesel knowledge. Ask to see the chief mechanic and ask for some one with diesel experience, or get it sent to a diesel expert.
AnswerID: 195754

Sponsored Links