Gary Highway - road conditions & fuel.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:44
ThreadID: 3790 Views:2951 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Three of us are travelling the Gary Highway in late June. We have the necessary permits, I would like to know the condition of the road and if any problems exist regarding diesel fuel.

I have the appropriate HEMA maps, however, I am a bit cynical about map accuracy & the information they provide.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:50

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:50
Dick, the Hema maps are excellent for non-critical situations and contain a lot of useful information. I found last year that detail on the less well travelled tracks was missing at times (which resulted in us getting lost). For a remote track like the Gary (last there in Nov 98) I would use the NatMap 1:250,000 series as well as the Hema maps.
AnswerID: 14925

Reply By: Vic from Great Divide Tours - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:47

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:47
Dickwho

I drove part of the Gary Hwy from Gunbarrel to Windy Corner in 2001

It is a set of wheel tracks in spinifex for most of this length, not hard driving but you need to be aware of sudden washouts, the track diverts around these, one only required low range and then only as a precaution. Weather conditions can affect the track, watch now for wayward cyclones, it was partially flooded in May 2001 just past McPhersosn Pillar turnoff which is well worth visiting. This required some gps navigation but we were the first ones through excpet one 4wd about a week ahead of us whose faint tracks disappeared at times.

Check regularly for spinifex under the 4wd and in radiator when pushing through thick spinifex which grows in the centre of the track, overhanging branches, especially in burnt areas create havoc with the paint work too.

Hema maps were spot on for the Gary Hwy section that we drove, but due to previous years rain and heavy vegetation growth, some side tracks marked on the map were virtually impossible to see, but they were there where the map said.

Diesel fuel is readily available at Warburton and you can get it at Well 33 on the CSR if going that way, but again make sure no rains fall between now and when you travel.

Without sounding like an advertisement check out my website at www.4wd.net.au and click on link to Australia Twice Traversed, it has a detailed account of our driving of the Gary Hwy with pictures.

Vic WidmanGreat Divide Tours
AnswerID: 15017

Reply By: Baldrick - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 14:02

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 14:02
Also did the section from Windy Corner to the Gunbarrel in August '99 and agree with all Vic's comments. We also found that the area around the McPherson's Pillar turnoff was partly flooded (this time due to winter rains) and the track to the pillar was impassable. Nearly came a cropper there but turned back just in time (more rain that night).

Cyclone Graham recently dumped a fair amount of rain over that whole area.

GPS is very very useful.
AnswerID: 15263

Sponsored Links