Fraser Island Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 13:49
ThreadID: 3796 Views:1746 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I will be heading up to Fraser Island in a few weeks and am going to beach camp with off road trailer. I have been told that up around Elli Creek is a good place. Does anybody have any other ideas. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:17
Brad, there are heaps of good spots to camp. Anywhere about half way up is good if you haven't been before, as it gives you easy access to both ends and inland. I often camp at Waddy point, just past Indian Head. Some good spots there. I will be there between 31/3/03 and 6/4/03 might see you there! I drive a white st patrol gq turbo diesel. Have fun. Andrew..
AnswerID: 14970

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 19:47

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 19:47
Brad, camp anywhere but near Eli Creek. The tourist buses will detract from your experience of the Island. There are some goods spots around Indian Head, both south and north. Avoiding Eli, there are some good spots about half way, as Andrew says, that give good access to the whole Island without moving camp.
AnswerID: 14988

Reply By: relax - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:09

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:09
Being a local up here, I can vouch for what the others have said. Fraser is a big place with a ton of areas where you can camp, it just depends on your preferences and what you plan to do there (fishing, sight-seeing or just relaxing). You have miles of beach, rainforests, heaps of fresh water lakes and then there is the western side of the island, the side that faces Hervey bay, its also very nice and where I perfer to go, but thats me. A couple of things you will need to remember.
1. Chances are you will catch the barge at Inskip Point. As you may or may not know the fees I believe have now gone up, I think there around the $70 mark (vehicle only) will pay to check.
2. Don't forget to obtain all your permits (vehicle and camping). you can get these at Rainbow beach Nation Parks office on your right hand side as you arrive at rainbow Beach.
3. Fraser Island beaches and tracks are recognised as registered roads and are patroled by the police (obey your road rules).
4. Due to the dingo problems on Fraser (national news headlines) the park ranges are very strict on feeding dingos and food and waste procedures, ask about this when getting your permits. These rangers apprently like the power they have and have no hessitation with giving you a couple hundred dollar fine if you don't comply.
5. You can buy just about anything on the island, but because of its slight isolation its expensive. It'll pay to buy as much as possible at either Gympie or at Rainbow especially fuel.
I don't mean to dampen your ideas here, but its best if your well prepared and at the end of the day, this is the governments idea of management of natural resources.
Good camping.
AnswerID: 15056

Reply By: jason - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:06
brad,
when we go to fraser we camp at either waddy point or just north of orange creek up in the dunes.it's a lot less busy & close to ocean lake and the showers at waddy point(they are coin operated so take plenty of 20cent coins).Don't camp at eli creek.when you see what the tour buses do to the beach and the amount of tourists you will understand why.
regards
jason
AnswerID: 15132

Sponsored Links