Snorkel for Nissan Terrano II

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 14:24
ThreadID: 3797 Views:4759 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Giday,
I was visiting some friends on the weekend. They own a Diesel Nissan Terrano II (not grey import) and are planning an extensive trip around Far North QLD.
As part of the trip preparation they were wanting to fit a snorkel to their vehicle as they anticipate a few water crossings. However, the Terrano not being a very common vehicle, has meant that they have not been able to source a snorkel from the usual places eg. ARB, TJM etc.
They have seen one on another Terrano so they think it can be done.

So does anybody here have any suggestions of where they could try to get a snorkel to fit a Diesel Nissan Terrano II ?

Rgds,
Mal58

PS : Somewhere in Melbourne would be good.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 14:34

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 14:34
Mate of mine finished making his own from 3" exhaust pipe two weeks ago. I shall get details and post as there's nothing available aftermarket.
Reckons it wasn't too hard but he's a very practical man.
AnswerID: 14951

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 15:42

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 15:42
Mal,

The Terrano II (Made in Spain) and sold in Australia through dealerships has what I call a half snorkel from factory, the air intake is inside the guard but there is a pipe which goes all the way (inside the guard) to the windscreen pillar, you can check by opending the door (passenger side) and check in the gap behind the hinges.
We had one of these terrano II in our convoy to Cape York in 2000 and crossed the Pascoe with water to the door handles and made it OK.
Really well built units and very underrated.
I could send you some photos if you want

Will
AnswerID: 14958

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 16:31

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 16:31
Coops has hit it on the head. Exhaust pipe snorkels with Safari Ram or Donaldson head on the top.

Some may **THINK** it looks dodgey, but Ive seen some polished Mandral bent exhaust pipe snorkels that look THE GOODS. Way better than black plastic.

Havent done a google search, but Im betting there are some Terrano lists around the place.

I also went out with one on the weekend, very nice looking car.. Would have one for the olds in a flash!
AnswerID: 14962

Follow Up By: Coops - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:32

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:32
I also have 3" Mandrel bent pipe with Donaldson pre-cleaner that is painted same as my Cruiser. Is a bit on the noisy side but hey I've got the windows up and air con running 24/7 anyway so what the heck - crank that stereo!!!
It looks alright to me too and Donaldson pre-cleaner is much more effective in the Pilbara dust than Ram style, although I will probably change to this style when back in the city. Less effected by UV too.
You wouldn't believe how many retired guys passing thru town that ask me where to get this setup as they don't like their safari style.
Mate painted his grey to match Terrano also and it looks a treat. As for a capable 4WD, well it'll be joining us on CSR in June and I think it will leave the rest of us for dead (bad choice of words I suppose).
cheersCoops
FollowupID: 9075

Reply By: jaycee - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:52

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:52
What year is your truck and is it the squared off shaped one (model numbers and names differ tween Aust & NZ), as my brothers business has profiles for mandrel bending of these and others like the grey import 2.8 diesel IFS 4 runner (hilux). $60 NZ plus freight approx for the bare tube. Recently fitted one to a 1993 2.7 turbo diesel along with a 65mm big bore exhaust and the owner says he definetly noticed an increase in power.
AnswerID: 15392

Sponsored Links