kimberly trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 14:29
ThreadID: 3798 Views:1784 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are doing a trip to the Kimberly region later this year, visiting Mitchell Falls, Kalumbaru, etc, but we would also like to visit Truscot airfield. Cannot find any info on this, nor location, tracks. Does anyone have any info? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 18:28

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 18:28
Gday beau - geste
wifes grand fater served at truscot during the war ,so i know someinfo on the area if i remember rigtly it can only be accesed by the air or by the sea but i will try & find out some more for you
Regards BruceBudget Signs
AnswerID: 14980

Reply By: cocka2000 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 19:33

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 19:33
I like Budgets bit of advertising - nice touch.
We are headed up that way in Aug/Sept. Try getting info from the Derby/Broom/Kunnanurra tourist info centres.
We will be travelling the GRR/Kalumburu roads as well as trek through Mt Elizabeth to Walcott Inlet.
Try posting the question to Ann Jane at Mt Elizabeth they have been in the area for a long time. email : ricannbt@comswest.net.au
Good luck
Cocka
AnswerID: 14987

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:19

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:19
I seem to recall that you can get a boat from Honeymoon Bay (charter).you have to contact the caretaker at Truscot who works for Santos, and get permission to land. I think the jetty at west bay has been repaired to allow berthing alongside.

Santos ues it as a stores base for the oil rigs off the north west shelf.

There is a track of sorts out to it but really rough i mean really rough. You had to front the local council which sat on tuesdays, and ask them for permission. The other choice is try and be-friend a local to guide you out (not recommended)

There is an excellent book by John & Carol BEASY called TRUSCOTT and has some great maps of the base and surronds.

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 14995

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:27

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:27
Tried to get there in 2001 , a road does go in from the Kalumburu road I have the co-ordinates somewhere. The road to it when we were there was impassable and they don't like you going there. We then tried to fly in with the help of a bloke from kunnunurra who I have met. When trying to fly in the locals thought they might impose a landing fee of $250.00 for use of the strip. We could not get any firm decision on the fee. We had a light aircraft lined up. However it all fell in a hole. Might have another go sometime as it appears a very interesting place with a lot of old war gear there . There are a couple of operators working out of the place, Coast Guard & Customs I have been told. Hope you succeed.
AnswerID: 14996

Reply By: beau-geste - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:44

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:44
Thanks, all, for your responses.
It seems that it will be one of those potluck destinations,.
Bruce (from Budget), if further info forthcoming, greatly appreciated.
Cocka2000, we will be travelling in the area June/July.
Tony, thanks, will try to source book from library.
Lindsay, thanks also, will try contact with Mt.Elizabeth, and also Drysdale Station.
Hoping to receive further info!
I will post any new info that I might pick up off line.

Beau-geste
AnswerID: 15261

Sponsored Links