Question for Voxson

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:05
ThreadID: 3828 Views:1405 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking at Members Rig photo's. Were you at Crystal Brook last weekend? Saw a Patrol with an Exploroz sticker on it. We're heading the same place as you but a few weeks beforehand. Might see you on the track. AlpacaAlpaca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:22

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:22
Hum,
This has given me an idea. Maybe I could implement Members messages where you can interact with each other in private. ie. you could queue a message to another member that they will get the next time they refresh a page on ExplorOz. Sort of an instant message thingy. I will add this to the very very long list of ideas and maybe I will write it someday what do you think?

If you cannot guess we are wanting to give members more functions and more features all the time.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 15077

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:38

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:38
David,
I have seen other users direct questions to individuals so your idea would have some merit. Some user's may object to unsolicitated e-mails.
I have a mate who is paranoid about e-mails particularly those with attacments with potential viruses.
Would it be available to all user's or just members?
Maybe a list of member's only contacts ie members can display an e-mail address if they so choose to do so.
Happy travels you have to live your own dream. Alpaca
FollowupID: 9143

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:47

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:47
I do not indend to use email. I would allow you to load a message into the system and when the specified member logs onto the site (or refreshes a page) it would appear in a browser window. This would only be available to members.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 9144

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:06

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:06
David..

Since there are well over 23,000,000 ICQ users alone, or MSN or Yahoo, or AIM users, why not have a spot for people to list their numbers names or handles? If people dont have ICQ its 5 mins to install and setup! www.icq.com

This could be a temp idea of what you are thinking, and could save you coding..

We have started the CHAT feature on the Patrol list in the last few weeks on Yahoo, this is also another thing you could implament, have a chat session once a week, say Thursdays or Tuesdays 8pm East coast time ?? something like that ??
FollowupID: 9154

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:07

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:07
David,
I think the idea is great. Such pace - a change a day - can we members cope??!!
MikeToo little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 9155

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:22

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:22
I like the idea of the pop-up message when you log on, would it be HTML based, JAVA or something else ie, would our systems need anything special installed?

Is there any way to see the email addresses of other members? I can't see any? Is this a privacy issue (with you and or running the site)?

What if when you sign up as a member you have the "option" to make your email address visable to other members so as they could email each other if they wanted?

Or should we just stick with the ask the moderator on request !!!
Paul
Patrol GUII 3Lt 2000 DX
FollowupID: 9203

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:37

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:37
That is what my new idea is all about. All that will happen is that a standard browser window will open just like the View Rigs page but smaller with the messages left for you by other members. It is nothing super hard for me to code into the site I just have to do it. You can leave a message with anything you want in it your email address, a message or whatever you like. You will of course have the option to reply etc etc. It will actually only take me a couple of hours to write, test and release. I just have to work out where I am going to store the data. The putting it on the screen and getting responses is the real easy part. Leave it with me my brain is working on it.

I do not want to be responsible for the publishing of your email addresses both from a privacy issue and the fact that I know how many search engines and spam email crawlers run over the site all the time. From the amount of spam crap we get I can tell you how to get a better mortgage right through to how to make you bleep larger. We get about 50 - 100 spam and virus emails every day to ours and the exploroz mailboxes. I really do not think you want to get all the crap, hence my reluctance to publish the data directly. Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 9205

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:46

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:46
I like the idea but also am unsure of email open to the masses , members only sounds better to me , membership fees are only small for such a great facility anyway Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 15078

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:49

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:49
I do not indend to use email. I would allow you to load a message into the system and when the specified member logs onto the site (or refreshes a page) it would appear in a browser window. This would only be available to members.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 9145

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:52

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:52
sounds like the way to go , more work , will you ever see the sun again ???????Peter York4x4
AnswerID: 15079

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:03

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:03
Elpaca.... Yes i have my Explore Oz sticker showing proudly on my barn door window,, but having said that,,,, no it wasnt me at Crystal Brook last weekend.. I was on the beach between Beachport and Robe instead...

David,,, Another fantastic member idea you have there..

Great work....

PS... Elpaca.. We are doing the Border Track on the 30th of this month.. Now thats a real hoot.........*************************************
Just countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*
AnswerID: 15099

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:30

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:30
Your right about that. Thats my Backyard (from the Riverland)Alpaca
FollowupID: 9160

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:33

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:33
PS Reading the threads it was probably Mike at the 4WD frolic
Thanks anyway AlpacaAlpaca
FollowupID: 9163

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:26

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:26
Yes I was there as part of the organising team. We had a good weekend and it seemed to be enjoyed by all.
MikeToo little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 9217

Follow Up By: Member - Alpaca - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:56

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:56
Mike,
It certainly was a great weekend, The Tag a long trips were terrific, Sat night meal was great and I know that everyone from the Riverland 4WD club certainly had a good time.
Thanks again.
Look forward to seeing you at Mildura next year
AlpacaAlpaca
FollowupID: 9220

Reply By: Rick - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 22:57

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 22:57
Alpaca

Might'a been Andrew Hiscock. His is a green GU. Wasn't me - my pewter GU with th' sticker was parked at home, bugger it all.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 15156

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:57

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:57
DAvid,
Just keep it simple. Don't make this excellent site a clique. When you start going off site for chats etc it looses something and you loose that bit of fun, the stirring and happy banter and at the same time everyone can get involved ... if they want to.
Anyway I think the site gets better all the time and that is why I became a member......decided I should stop sitting on the sidelines cough up the 30 bucks and help you keep this going. I reckon everyone should join as we have all had $30 of fum or advice in the past. I have also changed my screen name to save confusion. One guru David is enough.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 15280

Sponsored Links