Insurance

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 18:08
ThreadID: 3836 Views:1562 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Want to insure my Camper Trailer prior to the Cape trip.

Does anyone know of a good and reliable insurer an what Am I up for in $?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:06
Best advice is put the insurance money towards a good tent and leave the trailer near Cairns. You don't see many trailers on that trip and many of the ones you see are abandoned I'm told
AnswerID: 15131

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 23:22

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 23:22
Dolfn,
Read your other post re Ultimate, Just bought a Tvan and Insured it before delivery. Just too many dollars involved not to insure. Somebody might think they need the van more than you do - heaven forbid!)
Here in NSW found NRMA (or whatever they now call themselves) to be reasonable but shop arround for best deal and offroad coverage.
Re Cape, believe arrangements can be made to leave trailers etc at Cooktown if necessary. For myself Kangaroo Island in April will be fine though will have to practice reversing to get on the ferry.
Cheers
Bob L
AnswerID: 15160

Follow Up By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 23:29

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 23:29
Wanted to see if pic. worked , maybe this time?.
FollowupID: 9196

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 17:04

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 17:04
Bob,

Others will probably tell you this as well, be very, very, wary of the gravel roads on KI - expecially towing a trailer.

The key is slow down, slow down - especially on anything even resembling a bend.

The gravel is like marbles and you could find yourself skating quite easily.

The roads even catch the locals occasionally and some very bad accidents have been recorded over the years.

Otherwise, enjoy one of the world's great places

DennisN
FollowupID: 9238

Reply By: Rod - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:28

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:28
Camper Trailers are fine on Cape York. Took mine to the tip and did the OTL except the last 3-4 creek crossings at the northern end. My brother in law rolled his (at virtually no speed) on Gunshot but we rolled it back over (undamaged except bed was wet). They key is to keep speed down.

You may have problems on the bypass roads due to corrugations. We opted for the OTL where possible as it was more scenic, less dust and hurried. I would take the trailer again.

As for insurance, join a 4WD club and get the TCIS insurance which covers vehicle, trailer and camping gear. I have only claimed a replacement windscreen on this policy and they were fine to deal with.

As for accidents, the only problem I had on my trip around Oz via the cape was wiping out the menu board at a drive through Red Rooster in FNQ. The sign said 'drive through takeaway' and that's what I did to the sign. Red Rooster claimed for the damage on their insurance and could see the funny side of it too.
AnswerID: 15179

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:11

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:11
Tcis Insurance is OK
You should get NRMA Plus road service. This will cover you for towing the trailer if damaged and you cannot tow it to a service centre. Only another $24 - but worth it.
AnswerID: 15215

Sponsored Links