Starting Problems

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:01
ThreadID: 3853 Views:1490 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
All,

Patrol 3L 2000 TD.

Previous post on this topic ID:2670

Firstly I took the car to West End Diesel in Sydney, I explained the problem to them....they told me to get Nissan to look at it first.....If they cannot fix it while it is still under warranty, leave it with us it may cost them a mint they said....so get Nissan to looked at while its under warranty.

I took the car into Nissan on Monday afternoon. I have previously had it serviced, run a course of additives thru it.....same problems.... sometimes have trouble starting first thing in the morning or after being sitting idle for a period of time ie 5 seconds of cranking before firing)

Wednesday I called...they said they had followed Nissan Head office guidelines but still it still had the problem. (There was the admission I was after....something was wrong), I was told possibly the Primer Pump was faulty (which primed the Injector pump?). Once again they were waiting for further instructions from head office.

Thursday they said they were told to change the Primer pump....none in stock, I can pick the car up on Friday.

On picking the car up I was told.

They checked for blockages, compression, glow plugs, (may of been more but I cannot remember) changed the primer pump. Call us next week if the problem still occurs.

Heres the killer. I was told when starting, turn the key to "on", when the glow plug lamp goes off, wait a further 15 seconds then start and all should be ok

Does anyone sit in their car 20-25 seconds before starting it?

I thought when you turned the ignition to "on" it heats the glow plugs, once the light goes off this is the optimum time to start. Also when the glow plug warning light goes off, I thought it cut the power to the glow plugs? As if you leave the ignition in the "on" postion and the plugs are on all the time, wouldn't this burn them out or drain the battery?

Comments?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:11

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:11
Wait for another 20-30 seconds???? why not sit there all day.... Say that to them. Thats a bodge job repair. You want your $50k car to be normal.

I think they is hoping... Thats not what the manual says and demand it to be rectified......

Shame we dont have the USA 3 Lemons thing ... you car isnt fixed in 3 goes you get a new 1. or $ back.
AnswerID: 15223

Reply By: vundie_01 - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 23:19

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 23:19
this may sound funny but i had a falcon with the same thing going on and had the r.a.c. out 5 or 6 times then found out it was a earth lead loose to the motor sorry not sure about the diesel side
hope that helps
AnswerID: 15233

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:21

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:21
Paul, Don't know anything about Nissan glow plug electrics, but do know that tojo's have an "after-glow" feature, that stays on for some time after the light goes out. The timing of this is governed by temp of engine, if cold it can last for up to 30 secs, and when at operating temp, doubt if it works at all.

In cold weather, in 79 series, I often glow the vehicle twice, and it's not as cold up here as it is where you blokes are. 80 series turbo starts instantly, but it only has heating coil in manifold, no glow plugs, and direct injection.

Tojo's diesels back in early '70's, used higher voltage g'plugs than they do now, and were heated until a wire coil on dash, glowed red hot. With much blowing of black smoke, they might start first time. Then when you stopped them by pulling a knob on dash, if you didn't remember to switch off ign then the batery would be flat next morning. Times have changed.

Hope you get it 100% soon, Paul, can be frustating when they not as you expect. hooroo...
AnswerID: 15246

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 17:29

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 17:29
Paul,
Just been back to read yor post - 2670? - and note you don't mention how many clicks it has done, not many if under warranty. I don't feel 5 secs cranking when cold, or other being stopped for some time is unusual. Wondered if you've ever run of of fuel? This can effect some pumps, they run alright, but are difficult to start.
Also wonder if those 3L engines have an overboost fuction for starting. Don't want to push tojo point again, but hj45'S had this function, and if it wasn't working, they wouldn't start from cold. Even if the g'plugs were working.
Think I'd be checking the g'plugs again, and doing a visual on fuel line back to tank, check for any damage etc. Hooroo...
FollowupID: 9288

Follow Up By: Member - Paul - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:50

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:50
Bob,

Just ticked over 84500k's

Paul
Patrol GUII 3Lt 2000 DX
FollowupID: 9296

Reply By: lindsay - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 17:12

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 17:12
Don't know how the fuel system works in a nissan, however if there is an air leak between the tank and the injector pump and it has an electric fuel pump near the tank, They may be hoping that this " key on longer" process will purge the fuel lines of air making starting easier. We have a truck with a cummins engine that sometimes does this.
AnswerID: 15267

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:09

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:09
It seems to me that the 3.o diesel will give modern diesel engines a bad name, they seem to have so many problems, My GU 4.2, with 255,000ks on it now, has never looked like stopping, i know what id rather be in out in the mulga, 255,000 ks and all. Michael
AnswerID: 15302

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 22:22

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 22:22
Paul
Had the same problem with a 2.8 GU. Took 15,000 k ie 3 services to fix. Turned out that a nissan update covered the fault which was resolved with a new sideplate ? to the injector pump..
AnswerID: 15342

Reply By: Member - Paul - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 16:04

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 16:04
Bob,

Your Injector pump would be for a 6 cly....mine a 4, so they would be different but I mentioned this to Nissan, they replied we have done what Nissan HQ have instructed us to do ......but if you bring it in again we will replace the glow plugs.

I followed the sit in the car for a further 15 seconds before starting instructions on Sat and Sun mornings.....same problems.

Looks like a few trips to the service depart to get this one resolved.

L8rPaul
Patrol GUII 3Lt 2000 DX
AnswerID: 15374

Sponsored Links