Quick and easy tents

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 26, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 388 Views:5039 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have a camper trailer that serves us well, but would like to get a tent for times when we can't take the trailer. We want something that is very quick to erect and doesn't take up much room in the car. It doesn't have to be spacious as it would only be for overnight stops. What are peoples experiences with dome or other quick setup tents?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00
Nigel, domes are quick & easy, but are not good in high winds as they tend to flatten out. Geodetic domes overcome this problem to a large extent with extra cross poles. I have used both a lot and am very happy with my current geodome.(By OZ TENTS) There is a huge difference also in quality of tents on the market. They all look great in the tent showroom, but you don't know their quality 'till you are out there! Also you don't need to buy the dearest to get a good tent, but beware of the real cheapy. We now also have a camper trailer for our big treck next year, but will carry our dome for our Simpson crossing, (don't tow trailers across the desert.)
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 973

Reply By: Geoff- Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 27, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Nigel,
We have a Eezi-Awn tent that goes on your roof racks and fold out in less then 5 minutes. They have a built in fly over top and very thick canvas, open both ends and have windows at both sides. You can read about them in the 4wd monthly 2001 year book or look them up athttp://www.opensky.com.au/ We have found them to be very good for over night or 2-3 nights at one place. E-mail if you want more information. Good luck!

Geoff
AnswerID: 980

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00
We have a small dome tent and a Freedom family wagon touring tent. Dome tent cost $60 had lasted well, stays dry, is small when packed and lightweight. Freedom tent is quite large when packed but fits under a rear shelf well, is quick (very quick) to erect, takes slightly longer to pack up, stays bone dry, is tall enough to stand up in, will not blow over, is expensive. I take the dome tent usually when I'm on my own and going for just 1 night and take the tourer for longer stays. I love the touring tent, but the dome has served us very well for many years.

Steve
AnswerID: 991

Reply By: Rob - Thursday, Aug 30, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 30, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Nigel,
With many years of camping experience, I can tell you that by a country mile, the best tent I have come across is the Himalayan. Strong canvas material, very strong (just about unbreakable even in the strongest of South West Oz winter storms)and dead easy to erect. I travelled for six months by myself and put this thing up on my own, in the dark, during storms etc. in 5 minutes flat with no problems. probably the best aspect is the external frame (no poles to bump into). Good room inside and can accommodate 4 easily.
Happy trails!
AnswerID: 997

Reply By: Keith - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
I can recommend the Oz 30 second Tent.....but, when packed, it is about 2m long...so it won't fit into my 80 series unless the front passenger seat is folded forward. Now I asked my wife if she would mind sitting in the back next to the Engel, and you can imagine the response. Result? A roof rack!
AnswerID: 1046

Follow Up By: Nigel - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for your reply. The price and large size when packed makes the oz-tent more suited to someone who uses it as their main travel accomodation, whereas we use our camper trailer for most places, and the tent would be a backup for spots that aren't trailer friendly.
FollowupID: 298

Sponsored Links