Cape York

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:13
ThreadID: 3888 Views:1768 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody tell me if the track north of Stones Crossing from Weipa to the Overland Telegraph Line Track is closed to traffic where it enters the Bertiehaugh Station lease as I believe the station owners have stopped allowing vehicles to pass through their property? Can permission be obtained from the owners? If so how do you get in contact with them? I will be passing through this area in late August 2003.Have Wheels Will Travel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:36
Stones crossing was closed when we were there in july 2001. Not sure if you can get permission.
AnswerID: 15368

Reply By: Beddo - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:17

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:17
Tried to do this one last Aug / Sept - rang about before I left to Weipa Police and they said no go. While up that way also asked around and same answer. I believe previous visitors have wrecked it for the rest. Try calling Weipa Police or even Morton Telegraph Station for advice on that area and access. Anyway it was no go when we were there and things do change - did hear talk of possible permits, though I think it was to do with staying at that property and doing sporting hunting events or so. Hope this helps, Cheers Beddo
AnswerID: 15386

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 19:19

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 19:19
The guys that took over the station stopped it 2 -3 years ago. ( they were running hunting safaris) they had 500 Sq miles i cant see why they would close it.
The other road south of wiepa to batavia will get you accross in a couple of hours god scenaree.and a couple of hairy creek crossings after the wet.
There is a lot to see around batavia and moreton spend a day or 2 in the area before rushing (as everybody seems too) to the top. Head up or down the wenlock great country rough tracks but no people.
And have a go at the pascoe. Hairy!!!! but dont do it alone.Great camping a night on the limestone east of the river
AnswerID: 15396

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 22:38

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 22:38
Thanks for the replys. I guess I'll take the long way around.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 15421

Sponsored Links