air intake vibration

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:58
ThreadID: 3889 Views:5123 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine bought a diesel 94' hilux recently. On the weekend he went to replace the air intake pipe cos it had a crack that had been patched up by previous owner. when he took it off he found the patch job was to put a piece of pipe inside , but the pipe had the ends half closed off restricting the air flow to the engine. The ute is fitted with a after market snorkel and when the pipe was replaced, withpout the air flow restriction, when he reaches 2500 revs the air cleaner box vibrates rather loudly. By putting the snorkel on this would have increased intake volume so i gather the previous owner has put in this restiction to stop the engine drawing so much air and vibrating. Seems ludicrous to do try and stop vib's this way by restricting engine air flow. Tried a few things to stop it but nothing has worked so far. Any comments, experiences or advice how to stop this vibration without restricting the flow woul be appreciated. (Increase in power was quite noticeable when restiction was removed)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:31

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:31
I also have a problem with vibration on a Safari Snorkel fitted to a Defender. Apart from the noise, the footwell resonates at certain revs. Never did it prior to snorkel fitting.
AnswerID: 15363

Reply By: andy - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:03

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:03
My Hilux is a 99 3.0 litre diesel and after fitting a safari snorkel my interior noise and vehicle vibration has increased dramatically. Apparantly Toyota make an anti-vibration box that can be fitted to the late models. Check to see if there is one available for your mates model. I have fitted a finer filter to replace the standard filter and it increased noise even more. The aftremarket sales people never warn you about these things when you are about to open your walletts. Andy
AnswerID: 15366

Reply By: crfan - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 17:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 17:34
There is a restrictor in the air intake of 3.0l diesel hiluxs to stop noise(swirl intake).And the safari snorkle comes with a washer with a small hole in it to stop air intake noise.But must not be fitted if running a turbo.
I would have a look at another hilux that hasnt been touched and see what is missing of your mates...
AnswerID: 15382

Reply By: Doubz - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 20:19

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 20:19
You blokes are all just getting too old!
Bit of noise and you all start to whing like women. (From experience it pays to leave them at home when you go away 4Wdriving) I have a 92 petrol hilux and have a safari snorkel fitted. On the highway yes she does make a bit of noise but the slight increase in power makes up for it (She aint all that goey being a lux) I also noticed a slight increase in effeciency. Worst case scenario, Turn up yer stereo, EVEN if it is Oldies FM
GO HARD OR GO HOME!
AnswerID: 15402

Reply By: Doubz - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 20:44

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 20:44
If it bothers you that much, look at fitting a hiclone in the actual snorkel. Mate of mine had two fitted in the snorkel and it quietened it down a bit and boosted effiency.
AnswerID: 15406

Reply By: Nat - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 21:08

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 21:08
I previously had a hilux and there was another filter in the top of the safari snorkel. I took this out and one stage and the same thing happened to me. Put it back in and the noise disappeared. You can only take this filter out if it is a turbo.
AnswerID: 15407

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 00:21

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 00:21
James.
The tappets on a motor nead to be adjusted correctly if you want to minimize the intake niose, if one tappet is not completely closing the valve, or the valve is not sealing properly you will get a lot of niose. Eric.
AnswerID: 15452

Sponsored Links