rust proofing

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:35
ThreadID: 3906 Views:3433 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all

Thinking about some sort of rust proofing for my defender. A mate of mine with one had his treated with some sort of gunk, you know the type which you spray in the doors etc cost him about $600. This the same in price as the ERPS system. Some one told me that ERPS will react with Ladnrover's because of the different metals used ie aluminium and steel. Any one have any idea's as to what might be the best for rust prevention??

Cheers
Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 16:20

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 16:20
BEN I HAVE USED FISH OIL IN A SPRAY CAN BOUGHT FROM ANY STORE.
ALL I DO IS USE THE SMALL HOSE THAT COMES WITH THE CAN AND POKE INTO ALL HOLES. I ALSO REMOVE DOOR LININGS AND AS MANY THINGS AS I CAN AND SPRAY INTO THES AREAS ON AVERAGE I USE 2.5 CANS OF FISH OIL WICH COST $ 8 EACH AND ABOUT HALF A DAY OF WORK . THIS HAS BEEN DONE TO 6 OF MY 4WD OVER THE LAST 25 YEARS . YOU DONT HAVE TO SPRAY TO MUCH FISH OIL OVER THE AREAS AS THE OIL WILL CREEP INTO NOOKS AND CRANYS

ALL THE BEST ERICCape York Connections
AnswerID: 15491

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 17:58

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 17:58
Fish oil will work to prevent rust in the areas that you can get in to. The disadvantage is that your car will smell like a fish market for about 3 months. I have fish oiled a car and on hot days the smell got really bad and any area close to the exhaust really lets off a lot of fishy smells for ages. Just make sure that you don't drive near any cats or public places for a while. Oh yeah my kids wouldn't come near the car for about 6 months and they would never offer their friends a ride home either. Any areas not reachable or paintable by the fish oil like external surfaces and metal that is contacting other metal is a problem if you are spending long times in the salt air. The ERPS that are on the market all claim different things. Many of these companies were legislated against in the USA because their claims were not able to be proved in court. They were forced to withdraw their products. Many of these products appeared in Australia and elsewhere. If you do a search in the archives on Rust Protection you should get some interesting results, This has been covered a lot here.

The best rust protection is NEVER drive on beaches, NEVER leave the car in beach carparks when the wind is blowing onshore and always wash the car well if exposed to salt air for any time. One archive says that a 4WD owner parks his car on top of a low pressure soaker hose. That is one with heaps of little holes that put lots of little sprays into the air. Low pressure will not push water into seals and should dilute the salt from under the car. Even though Landy's are built witha fair bit of aluminium they still have steel that is prone to rust. Cheers Andy
AnswerID: 15496

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 18:41

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 18:41
ANDY.. I WENT TO AUTO CHEAP THE OTHER DAY AND THEY HAD ODOURLESS FISH OIL. I SPRAYED A BIT ON MY HAND AND HEY PRESTO.. NO SMELL.
FollowupID: 9416

Reply By: Hardy - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:26

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:26
I have been spraying old sump oil on the underside of the car. the treatment lasts a good year when I repeat the process. Probably not as effective as all the fish oil as mention above but its free and quick.
AnswerID: 15498

Reply By: Darrin - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:27

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:27
Go for the ERPS unit. I have used them on 3 cars now and my fridge. The system does work.My fridge was rusting away until I put one of the units on it. The rust has stopped and it has been over a year know.
Have no doubt there are some electronic rust prevention systems out there that dont work but erps will do the job for you.
Have a look at there web site www.erps.com.au
I can get them at a good price through a friend which is why I have one on my fridge.If you want one give us a e-mail Ill see what Ican do.
AnswerID: 15499

Reply By: Darrin - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:28

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 19:28
Go for the ERPS unit. I have used them on 3 cars now and my fridge. The system does work.My fridge was rusting away until I put one of the units on it. The rust has stopped and it has been over a year know.
Have no doubt there are some electronic rust prevention systems out there that dont work but erps will do the job for you.
Have a look at there web site www.erps.com.au
I can get them at a good price through a friend which is why I have one on my fridge.If you want one give us a e-mail Ill see what Ican do.lisadarrin@hotmail.com
AnswerID: 15500

Reply By: TonyY - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 20:17

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 20:17
Some rustproofing does more harm than good. A friend of mine bought a Defender that had had wax sprayed inside the doors, blocking the drain holes. Doors filled up with water and next thing you know - rust!
AnswerID: 15506

Reply By: ThePublican - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 20:45

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 20:45
Yep ,have a good look in this forums archives, electronic is the way to go , fitted once properly you can forget about rust unlike spray on systems that need constant renewal and yearly checkups and hand into pocket to pay for it ,
Have had erps system fitted since new 97 model, min of 1 week in 4 on beach NIL RUST,
AnswerID: 15509

Reply By: IAMGQ - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 00:59

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 00:59
Anyone know if there are any place we should not spray/apply fish oil on a diesel 4wd ? is it ok to apply this even on throttle cable ?
AnswerID: 15550

Sponsored Links