cheap air mattress

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 21:50
ThreadID: 3918 Views:22354 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi everyone. the wife and i are off camping for the weekend. she has insisted that we get an air mattress. nothing too fancy (that's why i didn't go to a camping store) just want to get a cheap one as we are pretty low on funds and don't camp that much. went off to kmart and saw a few ones. anyone recommend anything between

jackaroo 198 by 130cm $60

coleman 152 by 198cm $90

jackaroo 125 by 188cm $99 (self inflating)

intex 191 by 137 cm $60 (self inflating)

at the moment i like the look of the $99 jackaroo, looks pretty good, and as it is self inflating won't have to buy a pump. any suggestions...

oh if is helps i live in the eastern suburbs of sydney if anyone knows a good store that sells good (but inexpensive!) camping products!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:31

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:31
My wife likes the comfort of what we have used for a few years. It cost about $44 at the time. Its a double, blow up and has a sort of velure finish on one side and blows to about 6" thick, very comfy. It gets the ocassional pin hole which she manages to patch up. But we use an electric pump with rotary blower (bit like a hair dryer) from the cig socket and that's really quick. The pump will last a lifetime but after 5 years I reacon we should replace the old matress with a newy. Don't think they'l still be 44 bucks though.
AnswerID: 15529

Reply By: Member - Geoff - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:34

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:34
Congratulations on taking a weekend off together. We have a self inflating mattress (Blackwolf brand) it is absolutlely comfortable. We are very fussy with the comfort of our beds and feel this is the best investment we have made. Cannot remember what the price was when we bought it, but it is as comfortable today as it was the day we bought it 3-4 years ago. Another cheap way of comfort, if you have the room in your vehicle is the firm foam rubber mattress about 3-4" thick. You may buy the foam rubber and cover it yourself. A little food for thought anyway.
AnswerID: 15532

Reply By: Member - Terry- Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:43

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:43
We have used both pump up and self inflating mattresses over the past 5 years and I would never go back to a pump up. To many leaks, especially when you wake up in the morning with a semi deflated mattress.Self inflating at least already have foam in them and are simple to inflate.I still use a jackeroo self inflating, however the wife uses what is known as a 4wd self inflator, approx.100mm thick, bigger to roll and store . It is however very comfortable, if you look after the jackeroo brand you will get good use out of it.
AnswerID: 15535

Reply By: Member - Colin- Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:45

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:45
Do a Forum search using "self inflating bed" I have used air beds and they are cold and leak. Try a self inflating mattress, there are a lot to choose from but are not cheap. You dont generally get a good nights sleep on a cheap bed. Next to my frig, the mattress is probably the best bit of camp gear I have bought! Ours is a Great Outdoors brand and is double bed size - just fits across the inside of the Forester but worth it.Colin - Subaru Forester
AnswerID: 15537

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 23:15

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 23:15
You can buy a Double Air Mattress from Ray's Tent City for Under $30, size is 137 * 185 * 13cm. Cheap Air Pump (12V Cig Lighter) from Supacheap for around $15. The main advantage of an Air mattress is that it takes hardly any space in the car !

AnswerID: 15541

Reply By: Robert - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:22

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:22
Air mattresses are comfortable but as Colin has mentioned they are very cold to sleep on. We go camping in spring and autumn and found it impossible to keep warm whilst sleeping on the air mattress. Ours did deflate a little but it wasn't enough to be a problem.
I would go with the foam option.
AnswerID: 15558

Follow Up By: bruce - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:01

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:01
If you spread out a few sheets of old newspaper under your bed you will be amazed at the difference it makes to the warmth...really helps keep out the cold...cheers
FollowupID: 9455

Follow Up By: cookie - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:24
The cold ground sucking the heat out of your airbed (and then you) can be a problem but as bruce suggests simply insulating yourself from the ground is the way to go. We have a queen size size airbed, about 6 inches thick, really quite comfy, often used by friends who stay the night after a bit of night out in on the town, anyway back to the camping, we put a 6x4 blue polytarp under the air mattress, also helps to reduce punctures, and then a good blanket on top of the airbed before you put your sheets and doonah on, or sleeping bags, works a treat, makes a big big difference. Also highly recommend the electric rotary pumps, watch other campers faces as your cushy double airbed bed inflates in front of them. When I was looking, at K-Mart also, you could get a double airbed and electric pump for about the same price as one with a built in pump.
FollowupID: 9457

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:04

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:04
Made no difference what we tried. Even with a matt spread under the mattress and then several woollen blankets, a sleeping bag plus a sheepskin underlay between us and the mattress, we still froze.
I originally put it down to that it was so cold up in the mountains, but on trying it back at home inside the house, I still froze. If the nights are warm then they are probably fine, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them for cold weather. A piece of foam might be more awkward to pack, but for a good night sleep it's certainly worth it.
FollowupID: 9523

Follow Up By: Andy - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 16:27

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 16:27
Wife & I have used a doona directly on top of the mattress and found that this gives us enough insulation to stop the cold comming thru
FollowupID: 9620

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:09

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:09
Just one word of advice. No matter what you choose, make absolutely certain it is long enough! You need a mattress at least 20cm longer than you are. Trust me!Be good, or be quick.
Rohan
AnswerID: 15568

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:07

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:07
Hi 4wdnovice,

We bought 4 king-single sized "Outdoor Connection" air mattresses for the family from www.budgetcamping.com.au a couple of years ago. They are 99 by 198cm and were about $35ish each at the time.

Budget Camping are out at Minchinbury in Sydney's west.

They haven't punctured yet and are really quite comfortable. I actually think the air mattress is more comfortable than on our pillow top queen size bed at home.

They can get cold but you can get over that, as others have said, by insulating underneath it. We use rubber backed picnic rugs to do that. If it's still cool, add a blanket or something between you and the mattress.

We chose the king singles so as each person has their own mattress and they don't interfere with the person sleeping next to them when they roll over, as would happen on a double or queen.

We also got a bellows foot pump for $5, but I'd buy the 12v blower from Super Cheap Auto for $15-$20.
AnswerID: 15571

Reply By: jules - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:04

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:04
Hi - hope you have a good weekend - have you looked at the cheapy stores - i.e. Reject Shop, The Warehouse, silly sollys or the like" they quite often have really good items quite cheap - as to the cold - who in their right mind goes camping, summer or winter without a hot water bottle - but insulating the mattress from underneath is a great idea - friend of ours uses those cheap hiking mats (blue foamy stuff) underneath her blow up mattress - the best idea is not to overinflate - they leaks are usually the seams popping when you overinflate then lie on them - I mean your are usually looking at up to 100kg with 2 people on the mattress -
jules
AnswerID: 15609

Follow Up By: bruce - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:30

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:30
100k with 2 people !.... blimey I can beat that by myself and our air mattress is still in good condition with no leaks or any damage whatever...not that we use it now that we have the van but it did get a lot of use a few years ago...but like you said the trick is not to over inflate....cheers
FollowupID: 9534

Sponsored Links