Getting crowded???

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 393 Views:2219 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Forgive me for posting 2 questions so close together. Early next year I am planning on returning to Australia and to travel Aus via 4wd. This is a dream I havehad for over 20yrs, but the more I read in magazines and even on this wonderful web site, the more disallusioned I get. Is the various outback parts of Aus such as Cape York, Kakadu etc as crowded as the media seem to indicate? I was looking forward to having an exciting adventure, not a casual drive through the county side where any vehicle can go.
Sorry if this sounds like a moan.

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Andrew, First, 2 questions. Where are you coming from and what type of trailer/4WD do you intend to use? ( 1st because I'm nosey & 2nd because it will decide where you can travel.) If you are using a proper H/D camper tailer like Kimberly Kamper or similar, you should be able to go everywhere, however don't tow it on the Simpson Desert. If you avoid school holidays, there are still many places which offer secluded treks and camping spots. You are on the right track by following this web site as it has not only acurate up to date advice but many helpful hints. Finally, you haven't indicated what experience you have with off-road travel. Many travellers get into trouble in Aus. by thinking it's all a picnic. It is fun and safe provided you follow simple guidelines and be prepared to accept advice. Once again you are in the right place. Happy Trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 986

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001 at 00:00
Mike,Thanks for the reply. If I elect to use a camper trailer, I would only look at campers like the Kimberly or equivalents. If finances allow, I may do a mixture of camper and non camper travelling. If I do not use a camper trailer, then this will have a bearing on the 4WD I buy. I have a preference for the Discovery, but it lacks cargo space. I left Aus at 20, so I have a very healthy respect for the danger involved in outback travel, even these days with all the sealed roads etc. I have little off road experience, but a lot of common sense. Before heading off, I would make sure that my wife and I both do an off road training course, and then only tackle easier tracks as the experience and knowledge builds.
FollowupID: 287

Reply By: Allan - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2001 at 00:00
Andrew, Don’t be disillusioned. While some places and popular camp sites appear crowded, usually people complain about it because the best camp site may already be taken. Generally the people you meet on your travels have the same dreams and aspirations as you and there is no need to be a hermit in this life. We have met some wonderful people on our travels and it is great to share a beer and experiences with others you meet on the roadside or camped next door. Don’t worry, there is no need for traffic lights yet on any of the main tourist tracks such as the Gibb River Road or CYP. Just get out there and enjoy it.
Regards

Allan
AnswerID: 987

Reply By: Ray Kearney - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Hi,

I'm hoping to do the same thing in a few years and this also concerns me. There are still some adventures out there but they are getting fewer by the day. Road upgrades, tourist number (mainly overseas), road closures and the volume of rubbish and human waste in some areas makes it a real concern for us. There have been some places that we have travelled and not seen a sole for days but it's getting harder.
AnswerID: 1042

Reply By: Steve W Alice Springs - Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 14, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Andrew, Yes at certain times large numbers of people do get into some tourist areas but this is generally because they only travel during the school holidays or in june/July which is often stated as being the best time during the wet season. By the same token this can be to your advantage if you run into trouble etc. A discovery would be an excellent vehicle if it is a diesel one because the fuel economy is excellent -better than anything else. The later ones are 300mm longer than the earlier ones so they do have a bit more luggage space etc. I know of one that did the simpson on one tank of fuel - did not need to use his spare fuel at all. Training courses are really worthwhile. Direct4wdawareness.com.au in Alice run a range of courses which are nationally accredited courses. If you are serious you NEED to have a Hf radio and be a member of the vks 737 radio network which will help you if you have a problem and you can log in daily so you are always in touch. Have a look at their website vks 737.net.au (I think) Let me know if it is wrong.
AnswerID: 1082

Sponsored Links