Oodnatta Track camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 15:56
ThreadID: 3932 Views:2622 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Following on from my post no. 3809. I will be travelling up the OOdnadatta track next month. Has anyone camped at either Algebuckina bridge or Peake Ruins or just been there and could recommend the best location for camping. Also can't find out much about the Peake ruins and is it worth going to see.We have so little time to enjoy our land
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fred - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:26

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:26
Camped there middle of last year
We were on the South side of the river on the East side of the road
About 1 km from the road [need to go through gate]
Easy to get tent pegs in here - think you can go further from the road but did not try
Some campers between the road and the bridge on the South side of the river but underfoot looked hard and rocky
There was water near both locations but on the East side watch out that the edge is soft and you are likely to sink and get a boot full of water
AnswerID: 15586

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:00

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:00
Hi David, Last easter we camped about 20 or 30 kms (I think) south of the bridge. Found a track that followed a dry creek that went off to the eastern side of the road– the camping area was elevated and well protected form the main road by trees etc. Just beware of the mozzies at the Algebuckina bridge, it’s one of the few places along the track with water & when we stopped there and walked down to the river we were well and truly attacked! - That’s why we drove on and camped at the next “dry” creek
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 15594

Reply By: Member - Darian - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:24

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:24
Indeed.....might pay to spend an hour at the Bridge but then move on to camp - the water was very salty on my last visit and the flies were terrible. Too right re the bush mozzies too - if you strike a pocket of them near water they can leave the city types for dead - you will literally be running for cover ! There are quite a few nice places to camp on the track...our preference is usually to look for a creek crossing with low trees, but no water. There always seems to be a place to pull in comfortably for the night.
AnswerID: 15614

Sponsored Links