Merchandise - whaddyawant?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:05
ThreadID: 3933 Views:2050 Replies:17 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We're looking to reprint our merchandise range plus add some more items but there are complications and I'd like your feedback to help me make my deciision. Basically, will you buy them?

This link will show you the last batch of
Merchandise Itemswe offered in the shop, all out of stock but shows the pic and the price. Some were also used as giveaways.

We're now thinking of reordering the lot, but also adding shirts and wheel covers. Interested in your feedback to the following:

1. are shirts too difficult buying over the internet with sizing? I'd prefer to just stock one size, say Large or XL. I'd also like just one style, and would like something reasonably nice like a polo shirt, or a blue bush shirt with an embroidered pocket. What about a Member's Shirt?

2. wheel covers will feature our circular logo and available for sale and also used as competition giveaways. We can either print 2 or 3 colours depending on what colour cover we choose. If we choose the popular black cover then they will cost a little more, than if I chose a white cover. Is white out of the question? Who has had experience with a white cover?

3. should we bother with the stubby holders? we can get them at the right price, but because they don't pack flat they have to be sent as a parcel so only good if you're buying other things from the shop and its all going in a 3kg satchel (which all our orders over 500g go in anyway). ie. if just buying a couple of maps, a stubby holder would mean you'd have to pay extra postage ($7.80) when you couldn't got the maps only posted for $1.50.

4. should we bother with the mouse mats? they are handy, pack flat and relate to the computer usage, but because they remain inside your home or office they don't work as a talking point to promote ExplorOz like a stubby holder would.

5. the cap was excellent but if you're all keen to buy them I can get them at a better price.

If you can appreciate the only way to get good pricing is to buy in bulk of over 100 items at a time. So, I'd rather get a really big bulk order on stuff that I feel confident you'll buy.

Also, do you think "ExplorOz Team Truck" sounds wanky to put as a graphic on our vehicle beside the logo? If not, what should we put?Trying to design the car graphics now so that the car is recognisable and a good marketing tool.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:18

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:18
How about reflective saftey flags ie;for arials , sand flags or just for show at camp sites who knowns you my be camping next door to a member and not know it .Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 15584

Follow Up By: Jono - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:24

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:24
hey, i like this idea.
it would be good to be able to easily identify other explor oz users, as the sticker on the rear window can be hard to see.
FollowupID: 9469

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:25

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:25
P.S all members of our club are asked to use reflective flags in convoys if they have them ,would make a great photo a large convoy all with Exploroz flags flying Peter York4x4
FollowupID: 9470

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:32

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:32
Peter, I like this one too.

Michelle, this would be any easy item to order in bulk, sell easily (or use as a give away), post easily and be a very good promotional tool.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan
FollowupID: 9502

Reply By: Jono - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:29
wheel covers...stick with black

mouse mats...forget them

stubby holders......yes, as you said they are a great talking point, especially around the camp fire.

Hats....yep, good.

shirts....if you are only wanting to stock one size then there could be problems, and i wouldn't want to buy a shirt over the net anyway.
AnswerID: 15587

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:17
Hi Michelle,

I like the idea of a flag. Get it on a red reflective background (is there such a thing?) so we can use them in the dunes.

Stickers - Like them but hubby won't have them on the car :-(
Stubbie Holders - Yep, great talking point around the campfire
Caps - Definitely
Shirts - I'd buy one if it was a polo shirt or blue bush shirt with embroidered logo. Appreciate the size dilemma. I'd stick with L & XL and when you put them in the shop, perhaps include actual measurements (say from armpit to armpit) so customers can guage the size.
Spare Wheel covers - definitely stick with black!

Another idea...what about "map envelopes" with your logo. We use a homemade vinyl satchel big enough to carry several maps, our free camping guide, a notebook and pen.

"ExplorOz Team Truck"...I think "ExplorOz Team" is a bit classier. With that and your logo plastered all over it everyone will know who you are. Of course, this means you'll probably never get any peace from people recognising you, LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 15595

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:27

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:27
1. Shirts are a pain. Always problems in sizing and different manufacturers in the same size are usually different. ie XL in one size is XXL in another. Also I work in the 4wd industries a lot of my customers are bigger than XL what about them. Need to go to at least XXL or XXXl

2. Stick with Black on the wheel cover. White by the the time red dust has engrained itself will look terrible.

3. You can get flat stubby holders. They are made from wetsuit material and velcro up the seam to form the cylinder and from memory they were about the same price to have made.

4. Not sure about "Exploroz Ttruck" but I think the logo could do with a spruce up.
AnswerID: 15597

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:55

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:55
Hi David,
What's this about you working in the 4WD industry...I don't think I've seen any advertising from you? So email me privately and we can talk.

Regarding our logo - I've never had this feedback, but what do you mean it needs a spruce up? I honestly want your constructive criticisim, cause we look at it all day and may be "too close" to be objective. Would love for you to explain what you don't like about it.
FollowupID: 9482

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:46

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:46
Vote 1 for logo I like it as is Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 9487

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:20

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:20
Vote 2 for the current logo. Easily recognisable from anything else. Like the Canadian flag. Simple and recognisable.
FollowupID: 9670

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:53

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:53
1. are shirts too difficult buying over the internet with sizing?

I think maybe Iron-on's or even patches are easier for YOU to keep, having to have a supply of shirts, adn then with the fitting of shirts these days, its too hard to get it right. I wouldnt bother in that sense. Shirts are good advertising, but they are a serious pain in the freckle for those supplying and having to resend due to wrong sizes...

2. wheel covers will feature our circular logo and available for sale and also used as competition giveaway

Problem with these as I see it is cost, and the different sizes of tires now, The new Prado comes with 17in rims from what I hear, and I run 33's or 35's so no normal tire cover fits. Others will face the same thing. You will need different sizes to supply everyone interested. and then the cost comes into it :(

3. should we bother with the stubby holders?
WITHOUT DOUBT!

4. should we bother with the mouse mats?
No. No use to you out in the bush.

5. the cap was excellent
YES. Also Beenies for the snow weather!!!

6. First Aid Kits.
Everyone Needs one, and one made by people who hit the bush, Great Idea!

7. Flags.
The style for desert trips, also can be put up at Camp at the end of the day.

8. Stickers.
Heaps of MT rear Windows out there!

9. Seat Covers. With Logo

10. Dash Mats. With Logo

11. Travel Blankets. With Logo

Also remember theres people here not into 4wding, but motorcycling, caravanning, campers etc.. So thinking of things for them too!

There were lots more suggestions in the last Improvement thread we had!

---------------------------------------------------
About the logo, I see nothing wrong with it, but its not bright, as in standing out colors. Maybe some new colors, and maybe bigga map of aussie, in the circle style with the URL in the middle as a circle.
AnswerID: 15604

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:58
I dont know if anyone uses them anymore, but when I was growin up travelling with my olds, everyone seemed to have them canvas water sacks hanging from the bullbar... One of them with a logo would be kewl.

lets see what others come up with.

I like the map holder, but mine are all in an Aussie Post Postal Tube! Unfolded maps laminated...

FollowupID: 9490

Follow Up By: bruce.h - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:03

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:03
gday truckster
you say price comes into it with wheel covers just wondering what you would clasifie as a cheap price a fair price & an expensive price
Bruce
FollowupID: 9491

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:10

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:10
I looked at a few, and they wanted over $100.. to me waste of $100. Would rather give it to the Starlight Foundation... My tire isnt going to be any worse off without a cover.

And with the cost, I meant having to stock X amount of X different sizes. remembering Caravanners with cars, arent going to run 31x11x15/16s on the van... And then theres Zooks, and Ferozas, and small tired cars, Subarus

Another idea, the good old BBQ smock thing, ya know put on over your clothes! with a map of aust, and LARGE logo on the front.
FollowupID: 9492

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:36

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:36
How about a rear tyre cover that is double lined with a zipper at the top and a drain hole plus zipper at the bottom. This device can work as a temporary rubbish bin. Throw all your rubbish in at the top in a garbag and when next at a stationery rubbish bin, remove the garbag. This keeps the smelly rubbish out of the cabin of your vehicle.
I have spoken to a number of canvas manufacturers at 4x4 shows about this but no one has taken it up so far. Put the ExploreOz logo on and you are on your way to your first million!!! Just throw 10% my way for the idea!! :-)
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 15618

Follow Up By: Kriss from Longhorn Bags 'N' Swags - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:02
Hi Willem,
What a Great Idea!! As a canvas manufacturer I would be happy to take up the challenge! Could you please email me with some more specifications? (possibly a diagram) & you never know, if the idea comes up as good as it sounds ... there may even be a freeby in it for you!
Please email me at longhornbns@yahoo.com.au
Cheers, Kriss - Longhorn Bags 'N' Swags
FollowupID: 9672

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 21:05

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 21:05
Michelle, the sticker is fine. I won't put one on the Fourby but the one I received with membership went on the camper trailer. But one is enough.

Caps are always good and folk will always buy them, especially if they are good quality. I have several, as do most folk I know, but would purchase another (never can have too many) to promote something I'm interested in.

Forget the mouse pad. I have half a dozen or so promotional ones and still use the one I got with the computer 10 years ago.

The "flat" neoprene rubber stubby holder mentioned above is a goer (keeper). I have one. It works well, despite not having a "bottom". I'm actually looking for a couple more - needed them on the last trip.

Everyones comments about the shirt are relevant and cober the issues, but I'd still like an ExplorOz shirt. The idea above about a patch is good, but go for a quality emproidered one that requires sewing on. You could always specify a prefered shirt colour/style and I'm sure the members would do their best to comply. A social golf club I was a member of did it this way and it was very successful.

A travel/pinic blanket.

A radiator blind/ground sheet.

Do a deal with one, or more, of the canvas seat cover manufacturers to put ExplorOz logos on for free for any member that orders through ExplorOz.

There's a plethora og bags (day packs, which are very cheap these days; in car garbage bags; map pockets; etc)

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Hmmm, maybe I could use a few more stickers - on the roof rack perspex wind deflector (when I get a roof rack), on the sealed buckets I use for ropes and the like, on my tool box and recovery bag, ...

Oh, BTW, I agree with the others on the graphic - drop the "truck" bit. If you feel the need, I'd stick to what you've always called it - the ExplorOz Field Vehicle.

Also, re the comments on the logo - I like the basic design but you could "jazz" it up a little. Something that xould work, on a larger version such as that on the "truck", would be the inclusion of a few key places. For example, how about a graphical (even cartoonish) representation of Uluru in a deep orange, the Kimberlies, the Cape, the Simpson, etc. Or perhaps replicate the Trek Notes map that shows, in different colours the many treks (tracks) taken by the ExplorOz Team as they explored OZ (get it?)

That's all for now.

AnswerID: 15625

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:45

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:45
Michelle, it sounds like I'm not alone in preferring subtle displays of affiliation. As for personal adornment a small www.exploroz.com.au in white on the back of a black cap or the breast of a T shirt (or reefer jacket ;-)) would suffice. On the vehicle a small adhesive strip 2.5 cm high and 20 cm long with the same text, white on black, which could be affixed to the front or rear glass would be all that I would consider. I like the flag idea though.
AnswerID: 15642

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 00:02

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 00:02
Owsitgoin Michelle, plenty of ideas here to work on. There is a common thread of doo's and dont's that you get the general idea of what's wanted. I guess some of the things like shirts really depend on the size of the membership to make them worthwhile, if you can't move a lot of expensive goods in a hurry then you have a lot of capital tied up which is what sends business' broke. The KISS option seems dominant throughout the postings tonight anyhow.
Before going with any one idea clearly asses the market size.
I think your current logo is really great, it is distinctive, it says what it is without being too tricky, and importantly - it is known.
As for the signage, either under the "logo" or the words "ExplorOz" try looking at TEAM OFFICE or TRUCK OFFICE or ON SITE or
ON SITE OFFICE or MOBILE LAB or HOME or ENDLESS EXPEDITION.
As for a shirt, to save all the colour, size, quality arguments (you can never please everyone) why not produce the logo as an embroided patch in say a large and small size (suggest 3 in & 6 in) or larger and sell these so that members can put them on the shirt of their choice, you might prefer to suggest a standard club colour.
That's my tuppence worth
Ciao
AnswerID: 15648

Reply By: Member - Peter- Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:51
ANOTHER IDEA ; what about business card size flyers that members can carry and hand out to people they are talking to about the site , most peolpe seem to forget website names unless they are written down for them this could be in the form of a greating from exploroz team . Also I have a retail outlet in a tourest town and would be more than happy to stock flyers ,info on our counter Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 15672

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 13:19

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 13:19
Caps, Keyrings, current stickers, flags and flat stubby holders. Maybe also windcreen/rear window strip stickers with the internet address only (reasonably small though) - can'y see a reason why you would want more than that
AnswerID: 15673

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 14:40

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 14:40
Me again! I like the logo as it is. Simple, effective and by now you have plenty of brand recognition associated with it.

Truckster's idea about beanies is a keeper. I'll have a cap AND a beanie please. And kid size beanies so my son can have one too! Then hubby'll want one since we've all got them...LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 15687

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:28

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:28
Hi again Michelle. You are responsible for keeping me awake half of last night thinking of things. One thing for sure, non of our ideas are going to make you millionaires.
Here's an idea thats simple (the KISS again) and based on the notion that "everone loves a bargain" and business is about "bums on seats". Members and members only to be issued with business cards or similar with the EOz logo and WWW and their member name printed thereon, say 50 or 100 per member I'm not sure on this point. The member uses this card to introduce himself to other campers and suggests they take the opportunity to log on and join as a member and if they do they will get a special introductory gift (besides the usuals) not available to usual new members. They have to be able to log in the name on the card to receive the gift. For the member who has introduced the largest number of new members at the end of a year gets a free annual subscription.
Imagine,the cards could become collectors items as they swap cards with other members during their wanderings, if your desperate.
Next idea, a get together somewhere sometime in this great wide land for members, an ExplorOzathon.
Next, sell a members flag say 6in x 12in that they could fly from the roof rack or bull bar or aerial, somewhere obvious so that we can spot members along the road and stop for a nag.
So much to do and so little time.
AnswerID: 15741

Reply By: Member - Chris - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:20

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:20
How about tent or camping products straight from the manufacturer? You sell Twine so let's sell other products.
Of course I would ask you to sell 30 second Oztents for my own personal gain but it's worth the try for the discount.
At the moment I can only locate them at one of the biggest 4x4 stores in Australia where I think they have a monopoly on them - or at least until the asian versions come in.
If they were cheaper they'd sell like hotcakes.
In regards to the other stuff I'd fork out for the black spare wheel cover and the dune flag with your emblem, oh, and the stubby holder...do you have one now? I'll have a look and grab one - when I win the next twine comp. Anyway bye for now.

Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 15760

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:51

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 10:51
I'd buy a dune flag in a minute.

"ExplorOz Team Truck" sounds too American. Over there, they all refer to thjeir SUV's as Trucks. But I'm afraid that I'm not creative enough to come up with a reasonable suggestion.

How about "Exploroz Mobile Office"? (At least I warned you).

BTW, thought about wide-brimmed sun hats?

AnswerID: 15769

Reply By: member-skippyking - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:04

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:04
Hi Michelle,

I would go the beenie straight up with winter approaching.

Dune flag, yes. Would get one with the above.

Got a hundred stubbie holders, all freebies. Pack one or two of those in with the above.

Shirts? polo type. Could you set it up to order size and colour. Just a basic range of colours too. The earlier suggestion of a measurement from armpit to armpit for each particular size would be easiest as most people have a polo somewhere in their closet that they could measure thereby ensuring the correct size. In the order form have the colours with the check box alongside each one. If you can arrange to order it as it is ordered by us, at a price you like, then this saves you having to carry stock. I don't mind waiting a few days more to get my shirt if I'm confident it will fit when I get it. Of course, pricing may be an issue with a non-bulk order. Though with the promise of long term orders a good company would want your business and once the logo is set-up and entered into their programmed sewing machine, I assume it's just the punch of a button away.

Caps a keeper.

Savvas, excellent point mate. As I was reading through this thread I noted only caps, not the "slip, slop, slap" wide brimmed hat. I'm an "eggshell blonde" and need to keep the sun off the back of my head, neck and ears as well, not having any of that 'hair' stuff. :~)

I wouldn't bother with mouse mats, tyre covers, especially white.

SK
AnswerID: 15867

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:02

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:02
"Eggshell Blonde"....I haven't heard that one before. I like it!

Yep ... I still have hair on top but it's thinning out. I've noticed that lately people look at my scalp when I'm sitting under lights. Some quite distinct shiny pink is starting to show through.
FollowupID: 9748

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 19:11

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 19:11
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Hopefully the merchandise wont be far away.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 15873

Sponsored Links