REAR DUST DEFLECTORS

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:19
ThreadID: 3938 Views:2480 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
WE OWN A 4 RUNNER & ARE HEADING UP THE CAPE & ACROSS THE GULF IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT WOULD LIKE SOMETHING TO KEEP AS MUCH DUST AS POSSIBLE OFF THE BACK WINDOW AS EVERY TIME YOU WIND THE WINDOW DOWN ALL THE DUST GETS DRAGGED DOWN INTO THE ELECS. FOR THE WINDER.DO REAR WINDOW DUST DEFLECTORS/WINGS WORK? ALSO HAS ANYONE CONVERTED THE ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW INTO A HINGED AT THE TOP LIFT UP WINDOW IE. LIKE A CRUSIER. THANKS ALL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick n Sal - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:40

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:40
Nick, as the owner of a '90 model 4runner I know exactly what you mean. I haven't solved that problem yet, although some options are:
1. Look out at the wreckers for Surfs ( Spoiler equipped )
2. Late model Pajero seems to have a rear wind deflector that may be adaptable to the job - haven't measured one though.

Another option with the rear window is to make a dummy from perspex that you hold in place as you close the lower half. This dummy would require an access hole to open the gate again but that could be covered in a rubber flap.

Just some options I have been toying with - although I've been a little busy lately adapting a Surf air cleaner to allow a second N70-Z size battery under the bonnet. All in good time.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 15641

Reply By: Janset - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:15

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:15
Hi Nick

I own a 75 Troopie and I made up a concave/curved metal dust deflector that I spot welded the a roof rack/bar I had screwed to the rear side gutter so that any air would be deflected down onto the rear doors.

The system worked very well provided I was travelling in excess of about 70Kmh.

Regrettably I now no longer have this deflector set up as the roof has now been converted to to a Trekka pop top.

I have seen some time ago fitted to the rear of earlier model station wagons a light weight metal deflector that is pop riveted to the rear of the roof above the rear window, but I do not know where they can be bought if at all they are still being sold here in W.A., as I would like one also.

I hope that answers at least part of your question.

Regards
AnswerID: 15652

Sponsored Links