Reading the archives I understand the AP60 is the best of the budget
models. How much better is the fly by wire model? - (not that I want
spend more money - but want to set it up properly no problems to
tinker with)
I've read that you splice the sensor in with the speedo pick up near
the auto box (correct? or can you do this in the dash and avoid dirt
and water affected electrics)
Mounting location?
Where does the vacuum come from? - (I dont want the brakes at risk)
Also where is the chaepest place to buy and how much Approx? (Sydney
city)
Kmart only have the AP50 @ $199

Any other tips or tricks appreciated

R
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Marty and Sam - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:08

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:08
Buy the cheap one at your peril. We had a cable operated one in a 2000 GU 3lt auto and had nothing but trouble. When we up graded to the 2002 series 3 GU 3lt auto we had the fly by wire unit fitted and it has been faultless. Your choice but dont say i didn't tell you so.
AnswerID: 15758

Reply By: happy camper - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:59

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:59
I have used 3 AP50 cruise controls for about 400,000 kms in 4 vehicles. One has lasted 200,000 kms and been installed in two 100 series diesel landcruisers and looks like going on and on. I wouldn't be with out one now especially doing 1000 km days on tour.

I lost a magnet once and broke a cable once, which was replaced in a bicycle shop for about $3.

These kits look a lot like ones I have seen under a different name at a combined major 4WD franchise/airconditioning business in Milton Brisbane for $800. There is no reason to pay that much.

Kmart sometimes have a sale and the kit is $150. After sales help is available by phone to the maker, in Melbourne I think.

I have no knowledge of the fly by wire kits.

The trouble with any cruise control and a diesel is that they cannot 'see' the hills coming and with their huge power(not) are unable to react as a more powerful vehicle can. A bit of extra throttle by the driver is indicated.
AnswerID: 15891

Sponsored Links