Tow hook on Mazda B2500

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:54
ThreadID: 3952 Views:3213 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to find out whether the front tow hook on my Mazda Bravo B2500 4WD, 2000 model, ute is strong enough for use with a snatch strap or winch.
It certainly looks strong and is bolted to a strong area of the chassis with 4 bolts.
I asked Mazda Customer Service but they only came back with a rather a non-answer. I quote "The tow hooks are designed for towing and as such may not accept the loads which can be applied in a recovery situation."
If not suitable where else would you put one that is any better?
Phil

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:39

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:39
Phil
thier answer is spot on these hooks are designed only for towing & not shock loading the problem does not lie with where the hook is positioned
the hook its self is the problem. so remove this hook /loop & replace it with a rated recovery hook bolted directly to th chasis with high tensile bolts,if you can place ine on both sides of the vehicle front & rearso as to be able to take a bridal this will alow the shock load to be spraed over the hole vehicle instead of down one side & leson the chance of twisting the chasis in a recovery
hope this helps
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 15664

Reply By: ACH - Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:54

Saturday, Mar 29, 2003 at 16:54
Hi Phil,

I have a 99 Bravo SDX and have used the "tow hook" on several occasions without any drama, damage, bending of the hook etc. It is VERY solid!!

I've also attached an ARB recovery hook to the RHS chassis member but you'll need to get longer bolts to the ones supplied with the hook. Fortunately the captive nuts in the chassis member are at the correct spacing for these recovery hooks.
AnswerID: 16387

Follow Up By: phil - Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 14:31

Sunday, Mar 30, 2003 at 14:31
I felt that that the hook was plenty strong enough and that Mazda was just stating a position for possible liability reasons. I do not expect to use it for "extreme" recovery (I hope!).

The other thing which I did not mention was that when the TJM steel bull bar was fitted, by Mazda before delivery to the dealer, they left out 2 of the 4 mounting bolts. I only just found this recently when inspecting the hook. Local dealer is fixing this because I could not see why I should have to do it!

Thanks for your reply. Makes me much happier.

Phil
FollowupID: 10120

Sponsored Links