Karinjini

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:46
ThreadID: 3954 Views:2464 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What are the road conditions like through the national park? We were last up there in 1985 in a Camira station wagon and had a hell of a time with flat tyres. From memory we ran tyre pressures at 30-35psi and were getting flat tyres driving to Wittenoom to get flat tyres fixed - what a nightmare!

The solution from the locals was to reduce pressures, resulting in the tyres being more pliable and less likely to be punctured by the razor sharp edges caused by grading. It worked a treat. I presume the same advice still applies off road, despite this time being in a 4x4 with larger, stronger tyres?

How bad is Wittenoom these days? My wifes parents arrived there straight from Germany and she was born there. Now we have kids she wants to take them back to have a look, but I am having doubts now. Its such a shame, as the drive through the town to the end of the road was worth the trip from Perth alone.

We walked through the powerstation and were amazed at the condition it was left in. It seemed that they had litterally locked the door one day, never to return. The workshop was left with most of the tools still laying on benches and on racks. I'm sure its no longer in that condition.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rads - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:41

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:41
Hi Surf
Last went to Karinjini a couple of years ago. Signs everywhere telling you not to go near the mine, enter at own risk etc. Not many people around at all.
The roads were O.K. Bad corrugations in spots. We were in a 4 runner. Had tyre pressures at about 30psi. Had no problems. All depends on when the road was last graded. I've found (also on Gibb River road) that if you go as soon as the grader has been, that you are more likely to get punctures as the grader blade seems to clear away the top layer of stones but leave sharp ones poking out of the ground. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 15669

Reply By: Chip - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:51
Karajini accessible by 2WD without any problems unless it has eben raining. Major tourist outlet now and gets plenty of attention. It is Biumen right up until turn-off so only really a few km's of gravel.Chip
AnswerID: 15671

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 14:04

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 14:04
Hi Surf,

We were up there in 2001. Roads were okay for the most part. Plenty of traffic so plenty of corregations but not too bad. Watch out for build up of thick patches of dust on road shoulders; could be potentially hazardous if you're not paying attention. No reason you can't access all of the park in a 2WD though I think we only saw one in the week we spent around there.

Road into Hamersley Gorge is okay, usual corregations but nice and wide from Karajini to the turn-off. Having said that we copped a blow-out on the trailer along here. Only tyre trouble for the entire trip. Running at about 35lb's.

My husband rode is motorbike (roadbike) into Wittenoom back in the early 90's and had a great night at the pub just before it closed down. I've heard there is still a couple of residents.

BTW, you don't say if you are going into Millstream NP. We went via the HI Railway Access Road (you need a permit) which was an excellent run. Road quite well maintained and very scenic. Met a couple in a Commodore who'd had 2 flat tyres and weren't carrying a spare. Limped into the Millstream campground. The camp host there fixed them for him. If you go this way, be aware that the lst 30 km's towards Karratha is very stony and absolute murder on tyres (there were spent tyres and bits of rubber lying around everywhere). A 2nd spare would give you peace of mind.

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 15679

Reply By: Jayson - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:27

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:27
Call Pilbara regional office of Conservation and Land Management (CALM) in Karratha on (08) 9143 1488 for any info you need on Karijini or Millstream. Karratha visitor centre (08) 9144 4600 can also help.
Going too fast on dirt roads kills tyres, not speed. Rule of thumb is high tyre pressure go slow, low tyre pressure go slow, bottom line is go slow. You're on holidays after all.
Jayson, Karratha
AnswerID: 15753

Reply By: Kaza - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:25

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:25
Hi Surf
I was out at Hancocks and Hamersley Gorge about 2 weeks ago and the roads were fine(4wd)might be a bit bumpy in 2wd's though,we haven't really had that much rain so the roads in general are pretty good.
As for Wittenoom its still there,dont know if the pub was there when you were last up buts its gone now and so have a fair few houses but there still is a general store of sorts with a great rock collection on display.We camped out at the gorge last year just down from the mine and it was fantastic(apart from some of the blue stuff sticking to everything)the mine is still the same but for how much longer i dont know,apparently the govt is putting pressure on "whoever "owns it to clean it up and according to the caretaker it s quite possible that the gorge itself might be closed off entirely from the public,but then again thats been going on for 30+ years now.As for the tyres,30-35 is about right for running around here.
Hope this dribble helps.

AnswerID: 16130

Sponsored Links