Delkor battery recharge times

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 17:35
ThreadID: 3964 Views:7031 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone who uses Delkor calcium deep cycle batteries measured the voltage on the battery after driving for say a day (5hrs) ?

I'm interested to see if they are in fact fully charging after having been used in deep cycle (<11.5 volts) applications. I'm looking at using two 80aH and using the vehicle's alternator to charge them.

Thanks for your replies.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AK - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:38

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:38
Steve I have just tried my new delkor battery and took it on its first outing. Even though the alternator charges at about 14.5v the resting voltage lowers back to about 12.62v on no load. This was the same when I tried charging it from a 240/12v charger.
Cheers
AK
AnswerID: 15720

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:52

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:52
shaky.
Calcium batteries are very sensitive to water quality, for that reason some don't have plugs for adding water, so you must be careful not to over charge and loose your water. Measuring the charging voltage is the only way to ensure the correct charging rate, 14.8V is the normal maximum. If you just connect you big battery to your starting battery with a relay you wiil not be able to get the max charge as the loom resistance is designed to limit the starting battery charge current to 8 amps. If you run a wire directly to the relay from the alternator output instead of the starting batt + you will get your 14.8V, you then must calculate the time/ amps to get your 160 amps/hours. Good luck. Eric.
AnswerID: 15744

Sponsored Links