NISSAN GQ 2.8 TURBO

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 19:03
ThreadID: 3965 Views:1586 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Would like advise on the ability of my GQ to tow my 1989 26ft caravan.

I have had conflicting info on it's ability. I have been told that the engine won't be able to handle the load and that the gear box is also too light. I have been told that the gear box in the 2.8 is different from that in the 4.2 but is in fact a more reliable box.

I am a bit of a novice so would loke as many oppinions as possible!

I have has a Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch fitted by a HR dealer who was aware of the van to be towed and the gross mass of the van is 1870.

I look forward to your replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:16

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:16
I would not tow a 26ft van with any vehicle powered by less than 4litres. You cannot have very much gear in the van if the GVM is only 1870. My 27ft Viscount Tandem(Shell only) weighed 1500 kilos with nothing in it!!!

You are asking for trouble. You have two options !. 1. Change the 4x4 2.Change the caravanCheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 15717

Reply By: Jim - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:20

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:20
Hi Grav.
From my own experiences with a much smaller van (16', <1000kg), your GQ will tow your van OK, but be prepared for some gear work on hills and into headwinds. My 2.8TD has a Luxon intercooler and snorkel fitted (from new so I have no comparison to normal) and generally handles my van quite well.
I have done over 100,000km in it, though less than 20% of that would be towing, and the gearbox is showing no signs of problems. It apparently is the gearbox from the 300ZX sports car, but seems quite tough. Little more nervous about the clutch though, as it has to work hard starting off on inclines due to the lack of engine torque below 2000rpm. No problems yet, but I am a bit concerned about it. With your heavier van I would say you would have some difficulties starting on hills, may even have to resort to low range at times on steeper hills.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 15718

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 22:42
The gearbox will be your weak point... its out of a car, the ZX series, and isnt really designed for a 4wd, and towing....

The car will do it, just will be slow, and thirsty as anything on the earth. Extra stress will wear out things faster too.

The 2.8 is known not to be a rocket ship, I dont know why they put such small motors in 2 ton 4wds!
AnswerID: 15743

Reply By: desert - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:11

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:11
My advice is NOT to tow with this vehicle. The clutch is far too light and the stories about gearbox failures are true. This box is not a heavy duty, purpose designed, 4x4 gearbox. It is a box adapted from a Nissan sedan model which is only considered light duty as the small physical size limitations of the bell housing area, preclude this engine from fitting up to the larger clutch/gearbox combo's of other Patrols.
AnswerID: 15778

Sponsored Links