Temporary snorkel

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 20:23
ThreadID: 3967 Views:6030 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Don’t know how practical this is, could be pretty silly, but it’s just a thought that went through my head. Would it be possible to have some sort of temporary removable snorkel? I was thinking simply a length of 2-3 inch diameter flexible tubing with some sort of attachement to your air intake which you put in place for a water crossing and then remove. Cost maybe less than $30. Obviously it would be more hassle than a permanent snorkel but for the amount of time a vehicle actually spends crossing water doesn’t seem to justify a permanent snorkel, not mention the extra wind noise and extra amount of bugs and crap in your air filter. Seems to me the biggest problem would be where to run the tubing from your intake to the A pillar, maybe even just run it to the top back corner of the engine bay.
Obviously if you regurlarly do water crossings you’d stick with the usual, but for someone who has a snorkel more as insurance for the occasional water crossing I thought it may be an option. Any comments. Anyone done it before perhaps????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lloydy - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:05

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:05
I guess it could be done with a bit of enginuaty (spelling?)

If you leave the attachment in the engine bay then there is still a risk
of water (hence snorkel). You can put a tarp accross front of car to prevent water getting in which is also used with cars with snorkels.

Just a thought. A snorkel is not just for water crossings.
The higher air intake takes in less dust in the bush (cleaner air up higher) and yes helps prevent water in a water crossing.
Remember also that diff/gearbox breathers need to be raised for water crossings.

The answer to your question would be that if you are going off road a lot,
then I'd say a snorkel would be a good investment even if you only do a couple of water crossings.
AnswerID: 15726

Reply By: diamond - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:15

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:15
sounds like a very good idea. i asked a question the other day about snorkles on petrol motors and got heaps of good info as usual.i might be interesting to see what responses you get.im going away at easter and i might give your idea a go.if your only goint to use it for the ocasional rier crossing why not put it on your air filter intake run it under the car and hold it through the window.just an idea
AnswerID: 15728

Reply By: GaryInOz - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 21:26
I've been thinking along these lines too but on a more permanant basis.

My thoughts ran to PVC plumbing tubing with elbows rubber glands etc held in place by tags attatched to the pipe and wedged into the drivers/passengers side window, fed to a bonnet mounted vent. The vent when facing fowards would be the normal air intake but when turned around would take the air from the temporary snorkel.

Just a thought....
AnswerID: 15730

Reply By: bruce.h - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:05

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:05
only problem i see is that most new cars air intake is just behind the head light or in between the inner &outer gaurd making it hard to fit plus you want to make sure it didnt leek ,sounds like more hassel than its worth you can cross water without a snorkel if you set your car up right.
just my $2 worth
AnswerID: 15750

Reply By: toonfish - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:26

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 00:26
In the one of the latest 4wd mags a old model 40 series was given air through the firewall and into the glove box for his 289 v8 brute not very practical for the majority of modern cars (apparently legal??) but thats what you get when you think outside the box for an answer.
my 2 cents plus gst
cheers
AnswerID: 15752

Reply By: Member - Chris - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 01:57

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 01:57
I watched one of the Shell Borneo 4x4 competitions (1991) where some japanese competitors rocked up without a snorkel, so with typical japanese ingenuity they fed that 'expandable pipe' or 'slinky style pipe' from the air intake and to the inside of the vehicle via the passenger window with hundred mile/hour tape. Despite the bonnet being open a few inches to allow for the pipe, it got them through the rivers.
Food for thought.Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 15756

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 13:57

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 13:57
For what they cost, and what an engine rebuild costs, why wouldnt you just go with a permanent one?

Even second hand from a wrecker would be the go..

AnswerID: 15775

Follow Up By: cookie - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:41

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:41
Seems a bit like carrying an umbrella everyday in case it rains. :-) Bit different I know, but simple, cheap and if you get the same result why not?

I agree it's probably simpler and safer just to fit a permanent one but the vehicle I'm considering buying isn't catered for by your standard suppliers so just exploring some options cause harldy seems worth going to the expense of having something made up when I may only use it a few times in it's life. I'm not planning on doing hardcore 4x4 but intend to spend some time in the Kimberley where I may want to do the odd crossing. Hence what snorkel suppliers cater for is influencing my choice of new 4wd and I was wondering if there were other options.
FollowupID: 9616

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 15:17
So what Vehicle is it??

Your best option in that case is Exhaust Pipe. Get it bent up and put a Safari style Snorkel head on it. Seen some of these that look 100% better than a real snorkel..

I'd rather know my engine is sealed properly and isnt going to leave me in the middle of nowhere cause it got a gut full! Engine Rebuild is worth too much.
$400 snorkel V $4000+ engine rebuild/loss of transport for while, costs of getting car freighted home etc... ?

anyone know what towing fees from Alice Springs to Dandenong would be?

Also according to our club trip leader trainer and driver trainer for in the outback your better to get your air from up higher away from the wheels and engine where more dust is. Makes sense to me.

FollowupID: 9617

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:06

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:06
Alternatively take two large second-hand tractor tubes with you on the roof rack. When faced with a deep creek, float your truck across.:-)))))))Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 15777

Follow Up By: cookie - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:20

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 14:20
Don't laugh, seen pictures, 2 suzuki's travelling to Cape York in early 80's did exactly this.

Dare to think outside the square we live in.
FollowupID: 9614

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:59

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:59
Willem

Dare you to work out how many tubes needed for the G60!!!!!!
FollowupID: 9624

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:45

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:45
Truckster, My rig weighs 2500 fully laden without two overweight occupants(another 200kilos). I reckon 4 tubes off one of them 4x4 tractors should do it. Drive the truck into the shallows and over the flat tubes. Then pump them up to whatever PSI/Kilopascals, tie a rope to the bullbar and wade across keeping a weary eye out for crocs. Better still, don't get your feet wet....winch yourself over(get your passenger to swim across with the winch rope). Too easy!!!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 9635

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:07

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:07
Willem,that truly show the power of positive thinking,, ,,, my shout for a beer...
FollowupID: 9643

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:57

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:57
My thoughts are that if you traversing a lot of creeks, and the temporary snork was a real pain to fit, then the one crossing you thought "she'll be right", would be the one to cause some damage.

Go for a permanent one, bought or made up. Even if you aren't hard core, there's always the time when it may pay for itself. Our 80 series is only a dirt road/hwy cruiser, but there are a number of creeks around here that can stay at up to a metre for days, and if I'm heading home, that's where i want to be.

Reduced dust intake is another plus, but don't know why some blokes were complaining recently, about getting insects in air cleaner, because of snorkel. Air filters are fitted to stop/collect all the nasties. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 15843

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 16:10

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 16:10
Unfortunately some of us have "orphans", does anyone make snorkels, or for that matter any major accessories (replacement front/rear bulbars, tyre/jerrycan carriers, etc.) for Kia Sportages??? Now you know why I've had to do a bot of thinking about this myself.
FollowupID: 9665

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:29

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:29
Garyinoz.

Contact the Sydney Nissan Club, theres a bloke there or was when I was with them, that has a VERY nice Spotage, that was in the process of doing more to it when we moved.

Not sure if he still has it, but he may know.

Also is there a Spotage list on Yahoogroups?

If you want a snorkel made up, goto any EXHAUST SHOP!! Seriously the exhaust pipe all polished up and done correctly, looks fantastic.

if in doubt, look at
Robs Zook

pics are From www.offroadimages.com.au
FollowupID: 9683

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:46

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:46
Thanks Trukster.

I will contac Syd Nissan Club re the rogue Sportage. Yahoo Kia goups, have a look at some of these things

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/extreme4x4sportages/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kiasportagevstheworld/

Also 4x4wire has a lot of useful information on various makes/models and is probably worth joining as well, mainly US centered.

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

The exhaust shop is lookoing good for a polished S/steel snorkel,

Thanks for your help.
FollowupID: 9689

Follow Up By: Truckster - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:54

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:54
Bloke, glad to help... aint that what this place is about?

You may not have the most serious 4b on earth (nobody here does - I consider serious! but your out there having fun, and having a go!

get into it dude.
FollowupID: 9692

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 23:20

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 23:20
Hey Truckster, try this link for a WEIRD vehicle with SEROUS wheel travel. (no, it isn't broken!)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122477&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

How do you get pictures on the BB?
FollowupID: 9699

Sponsored Links