breathers 4 creek crossings

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 16:57
ThreadID: 3977 Views:1187 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am extending diff breathers on my hilux this arvo. (Plan to cross some creeks this weeknd and has been raining solid for 2 days). Wondering if it is necessary to extend transfer case/gearbox breathers as well. Or is water infiltration less of a problem with these. Comments appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:32

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:32
If it has them yes you should do them... If it has a hose, water always has a chance to get in if you stop adn are stuck...

Some people extend them up into the engine bay and put 1 way valves on the ends of the hoses.. or into a small bottle silasticed up...

Good luck and have fun on the weekend!!!!
AnswerID: 15793

Follow Up By: Bud - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:35

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:35
Cheers truckster. Will do my best
FollowupID: 9622

Reply By: Kev. - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:19

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:19
I would do the g/box as well if you can.

I used air compressor hose from the local tool shop because it was cheaper ($1.50 p/metre ) and extended both diffs and the g/box and t/case combined and ran them up into the engine bay, All done under $20.

Some people fit a fuel filter at the end but i used the original diff / box breathers after removing the internal rubber flap.

One thing to remember the g/box can let in water at the gear shifter if the rubber boot is not secure,mine was not secure but is now with silicone.

To check without removing the shifter boot blow into the breather hose and if g/box builds up pressure and comes back out the hose then your ok. If not find the air leak.

Good luck !

Kev.

AnswerID: 15803

Follow Up By: Kev. - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:24

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 18:24
Oh yeah , g/box and t/case are just as important as the diffs.

My brother was stuck in a crossing up to his bull bar for less than five minutes and when we checked the g/box once at home found it full of water ,and i do mean full.

Kev.
FollowupID: 9628

Reply By: Yo Sam - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 21:11

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 21:11
Bud,
It will depend on what model Hilux you have but my gearbox did not have a breather as such. What it had was little grooves around the washer that is at the top of the gearbox. Not a real lot you can do there to stop water coming in, so if it is that high it will pay to dump your oil when you get home. I am not sure about the new models but mine is the good old 2.8D.
Cheers
Yo Sam
AnswerID: 15884

Sponsored Links