Ute Musters

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:40
ThreadID: 3978 Views:1568 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I don't want to harp on the alcohol subject but - The other weekend I attended a "Ute Muster" in beautiful down town Pingelly a small town 150km from Perth (I know in Sydney and Melbourne that this is considered a outer suburb!). The majority of the young people there with utes were in the 18-30 yr old bracket and were real proud of there utes. Even though the event was on the town oval, they had set aside a sand pit area which was ringed by large hay bales. They were allowed in one by one and did "circle work" spin the wheels etc and were awarded a prize for the best effort. Hurt anyone-no, damage anything-no. The monster truck (stress factor) had a go and was awesome- grunt like you would not believe. They then all camped on the oval for the night (band playing and bar open) were they drunk -yes some but none drove the cars remained on the oval except one and the cops were on to him like a rat up the drain pipe. My question is with the majority of places having problems with young people getting on the grog and doing wheelies and donuts on the roads (and peoples lawns) why arn't the authorities providing more of these "outlets" for the city kids as by far the majority of the people at Pingelly were from the country and you could not fault them. They had a good time with no impact on anyone else. These are a great form of young people letting their hair down. I believe that the B & S Balls would be similar. If there is someone from the correct authority out there, they may like to place their views.
This isn't 4WD related but most of us have young kids of various ages.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bud - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:52

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 17:52
Or consider themselves young kids of various ages :-)
AnswerID: 15796

Reply By: Bob Y. - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:23

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:23
Mark, Liability insurance is shafting some of these events, such as B & S balls. Last year, Emerald B & S insurance had jumped from around 2 grand up to near $30K. What committee can suffer those sort of costs, and make enough to put the event on the following year. Makes it hard for younger ones.
AnswerID: 15813

Follow Up By: Chip - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 16:05

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 16:05
Yet another Aussie institution lost to beauracracy !!!Chip
FollowupID: 9664

Reply By: bruce.h - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:09

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:09
could nt agree more cuting loose has been part of the ozi way of life for yonks our dads cut loose we cut loose & our kids will cut loose as wil thier kids & so it will go the answer is not to try & stop thembut to help them to do it in the right place & way ,preaching at them & puting stupid adds on tv showing young people sceeming down the road passing everything in site all cut up does not work my kids took one look at that add & siad cool so the point was lost on them & set up the o bleep ate out come to the adds aim, the more adventurouse activities we try and ban our kids from doing the more crime & drug problems we will have.may be if a few of the self rightous people on earth & a few of our politions cut loose once in awhile the world might be a better less stressful place to live, ok im off my soap box you may now bag me at will
regards bruce
AnswerID: 15862

Sponsored Links