Brisbane 4x4 / fishing trip

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 21:50
ThreadID: 3981 Views:2856 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I live in Brisbane and am thinking of doing a long weekend fishing trip / 4x4 trip but would like to steer clear of the crowds. Can anyone offer any suggestions (fresh water or salt water). All help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 00:48

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 00:48
It's not easy to get away from the crowds on long weekends, but you mite like to look at these places: Woodgate Beach, about 3.5hrs drive from Bris, just south of Bundy. Nice caravan park, and also the national park has a good camping area, but you'll need to book. Try www.wbre.com.au , you mite find a link there.Good fishing too, especially if you've got a boat. Kinkuna N.P, just north of Woodgate, is extremely quiet, but you mite see a few people on a long weekend, the downside being no facilities. The dams around Brisbane get very busy, but Cressbrook Dam, north of Toowoomba, is usually a bit quieter. Excellent facilities, good fishing if you've got a boat, but you will need a liscence. Other places you could try are the four wheel drive parks, which usually have somehting on to keep you interested, but don't get ridiculously crowded. Best of luck, and enjoy yourself.
Tristjo.
AnswerID: 15830

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:02
I went to Kinkuna 2 weeks ago and as you mention, a beautiful place, great camping( especially at the northern end of the park ), good fishing and no one to be seen. We were there for four days and did not see anyone. I'm told the northern end is owned by some mining co and no fees apply. It is best to come in from the Coonar beach end as you only have about three k's of sand whereas the Woodgat end is about 20k of it. No facilities are available so you have to take everything. Nearest shop is probably 35k away. Great place but a good drive from Bris.
FollowupID: 9656

Reply By: jaycee - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 18:02
Hop on a plane and come over to the South Island of NZ. I'll take you fly fishing for trout in the mountains. Can't beat it!
AnswerID: 15866

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 20:40

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 20:40
Or I could get a mate of mine who lives in Auckland to take you out to rangitoto lighthouse so you can catch your 9 snapper limit in about 45 minutes and be back on the beach in time for lunch...just anothr plug for NZ!!...hehehehe
FollowupID: 9724

Sponsored Links