This Thread has been Archived
just wondering if a turbo from a 92 surf fit
a 89 4 runner both 2.4 diesel
the eletronics on the surf may be my problem
reason im asking i can pick it up 4 about $500
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 09:50

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 09:50
My friend has just fitted a 92 surf turbo to his 88 hilux....
It took a lot of mods to do this.... Drilling new oil line pickups in the block and getting water from somewhere on the engine....
All in all it took ages and ended up costing around $2000... Had to make new exhaust, heaps of dyno testing etc etc...

He is in the middle of taking it all off at the moment because the extra strain has caused oil to enter the cooling system somewhere...
His engine has about 270 thou kms...We think a cracked head or gasket..

In hind sight he has decided that a newer vehicle would have been the go..
He had the turbo on for 5 weeks......._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:23

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:23
Voxson,

Excellent example of the real life cost of a bargain, the possible cost of new head not helping the wallet either. Hooroo...
FollowupID: 9657

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:02
I put a turbo off a surf onto my 94 lux cost me $1600 including new exhaust. A little bit of mucking around and it was done. I had oil leaking into the radiator which was caused by a buggered oil cooler from the surf (not head gasket which we thought it was). All was good after I replaced the buggered one with the original one.
AnswerID: 15847

Reply By: jaycee - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:59

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:59
I suggest you don't go down that road unless your engine is still reasonably young as the extra strain will soon kill it. The 2.4 engines are not that strong. I turbo'd my 2,8 surf using the header from a 2.4 and a Nissan Skyline 6cyl turbocharger. I ran seperate oil lines from a new oil take-off i set up and extra connections for a coolant water supply past the turbo. But before all that happened i pulled the head off and got it "tweaked" to suit a turbo. I also put low expansion grade aluminium pistons in along with some other bits including a new high capacity oil pump. Oh i should mention that i'd alredy killed the engine before i started so it was coming to bits anyhow. The biggest item to be considered if you do go ahead will be to replace the whole exhaust system. The standard one will create temperatures that the engine will not like. Minimum 65mm tubing. Suggestion for anybody else considering turbo. Weld a nut to fit over a hole drilled in the exhaust pipe as close to the turbo that is accessible. This is a good way to tune the system, as the diesel tech can screw in a temp probe and tweak the diesel pump to get the optimum setting.
AnswerID: 15865

Reply By: Matt M - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:48
Pick up the whiole 2.4 surf motor, they arent that dear now especially the pre-efi ones so there are no electrical problems! Why make the job soo hard??

Then there are no mods to the engine all the under piston cooling nozzles and oil lines are there, cos it was made for it!!

Exhaust is the only real mod and most Luxes can do with a deacent one of those especially after Turboing!

Matt.
AnswerID: 15978

Reply By: darren - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 16:17
thanks guys i"ll look into it a bit further
AnswerID: 16071

Sponsored Links