HF Radio...

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 17:18
ThreadID: 3994 Views:3025 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys.. just a quickie about HF Radio... whats the best? reliable? and price...? Just started looking and will probably be heading out've perth for a couple of years with work out into the red 'n dusty...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graeme Degotardi - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 19:40

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 19:40
Troy,

I can't help you with price etc, but I went thru the same exercise looking at HF compared with sat phone.

Because I still run a business part time and I need to be contacted at any time, I waited till I found a 2nd hand sat phone for $850 from Marlec in Artarmon in Sydney.

I have found the sat phone great as I can ring direct anytime ( $45/month rental & $1.90/min) you can cancel the service when you return and reconnect when you go away. ie: $45/month plus calls.

If you wish to talk to other 4WD's then HF is the answer, but for me uhf in the car and direct acces via the phone was more important.

Hope this helps,

Graeme
AnswerID: 15874

Follow Up By: timhyde - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 16:45

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 16:45
Graeme
which company provides that deal with the sat phone?
Others I have seen lock you into a long contract which is a pain if you only need the phone for 5-6 weeks a year.
FollowupID: 9765

Follow Up By: Graeme- Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:49

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:49
Troy,

The sat phone was 2nd hand contact marlec on 02 9436-1234 ask for peter. I signed up thru Optus at $45/month and if you don,t care about retaining the same number, you cancel when you finish the trip and reconnect when you go again. We go away a fair bit so I have just paid the $45/m as a business expense. I think the call cost is around $1.98/min so I keep the calls short and don't allow the wife to call her friends.

Graeme
FollowupID: 9804

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 21:20

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 21:20
Troy,

Much comment here lately about HF. Codan and Barrett are most common brands, there is another, the brand I've forgotten. Of these two, Codan would be my pick, though have owned both. Performance is similar.

Prices - Last year, we sold a 19 yr old Codan 7727, w/- cradle and spring base, no aerial, for $350. New ones are $3500 - 4000. Try Trading Post for near new ones, or www.web-counting.com/cgi-bin/outbacker/index.html They have 2nd hand sets listed. Don't cost anything to run, except license fee, and any Radphone charges.

Uses - If you like to get used to changing frequencies, you can talk from 500 metres to 5,000kms, which will cover all of Oz. Radphone is still available, as well as social and emergency value of VK737. You need to like background noise, and if there are severe weather conditions about (lightning), then you want to hope you're not calling to save someones life, because it'll be difficult to hear and be heared.

If you are going to spend some time in the bush, you can't beat HF. Satphones are catching up quick - be nice to have both. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 15887

Reply By: Bazz - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 14:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 14:23
Troy, I have had a Barrett 950 for a few years now and have found it to be excellent.I have used it from all parts of Australia and not once have I had a problem.I have been able to contact other users and on one occasion helped another traveller out of a spot of trouble when his immobilizer had given him trouble and he could not start his vehicle,I was 2000k away at that time.
I have since joined Radtel and am able to make direct dial phone calls, this service is also excellent and at about $1 a minute and no monthly charges but a yearly charge of $110 approx.My advice is take the time to learn how to use it. This seems to be the trouble as a lot of people who have H.F. radios are not sure how to use them and because of this blame the radio.As far as clarity is concerned again I have had no problem the person mentioned above with the immobilizer problem was in the middle of a major thunder storm while driving the Strezleki Track and our signals were excellent.
The main thing Troy is to take the time and learn how to use it and I'm sure you won't be sorry if you bought one.
AnswerID: 15908

Reply By: Member - Chris - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 22:58

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 22:58
Hi Troy,
I purchased a portable HF a while back for $150 and works well. No brand name on it but it would have to be 30 years old with new wiring & guts inside it. Even without a tree to throw the aerial into I've managed to transmit & receive with the aerial off the roofrack and once with it laying on the ground.
I'm not into the recreational side of using them hence not the owner of a mobile unit. It's tucked up high for emergencies only. If in the event of a serious vehicle rollover I have an EPIRB (life threatening situations only) for back up in case the partner or myself are seriously injured. A mobile unit's aerial will be obliterated in a rollover but I think you can get a portable aerial for them in this situation. Just a MUCH cheaper option you may want to consider.
Regards Love the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 15946

Sponsored Links