Flinders Ranges ( Skytrek )

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 22:18
ThreadID: 3996 Views:2306 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have feedback on this trail??
I want to find some rocky, loose shailey roads and tracks, hilly, rutted...
Is this track like that?
If not can someone tell me of some others in the Flinders/.....

Regards......_____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Reply By: Brad - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:32

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:32
Did the skytrek in July school hols last year. Is a marvellous drive , allow yourself most of the day. Mostly is quite easy, but a couple of spots are rocky, loose, hilly and rutted.......
I would recommend it if you want a scenic, enjoyable 4wd with the odd more difficult patch. If you want to spend the day testing your vehicles limits than you would be disappointed.
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 15895

Reply By: Voxson - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 21:46

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 21:46
Thanks mate... We have decided to do.... uuummmmmmmmmmm,, cant quite remember...
Something like Binkaby Ranges... Bit more challenging we hope.. Thanks for your reply...
It was your reply that pointed us to were we are going..._____________________________________________

Reply By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:24

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:24
Vox,

Try going to the kiosk at Wilpena and going on a tag along from there. (*$39) The all day tour we took goes around the back of Rawnsley Pk Station and up some steep shale climbs. Steepest is about 42 deg I think. A couple of deep V clearances at the bottom as well.

Most of the track is relatively easy, but ya know it's steep when the road dissappears under the troppy's bonnet.

Great Views as wellChris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 16038

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 19:58
Skytrek is great for scenery but isnt very challenging.

Should be good at the moment, after recent rain.Andrew - 1999 GU ST 4.2Turbodiesel Wagon
Whyalla SouthOz
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4wd_out_of_adelaide
AnswerID: 16090

Reply By: Member - Leanne - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:25

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:25
Hi Voxson

A couple of years ago we did the Mt Samuel self drive trip onAlpana Station. It was very challenging for both driver and vehicle. Spectacular scenery, there is a steep hill descent down into Mt Buggery Creek, and you actually drive down the dry creek bed. Hubby was out in a sweat and white knuckled at some places. Will take around 6 hours, you get a key and an information sheet from the owner. We spent Easter there, and camped on another part of his property which was just up from Angorichina Village. Ourselves and another family had the spot to ourselves, it was just fantastic. Get back to me if you want further details ie phone numbers. We have done Skytrek as well, about a year prior to doing the Mt Samual trek, we found Skytrek was quite tame in comparison, scenery on a par with both. Have fun.

Cheers, Leanne
AnswerID: 16153

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:29

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:29
PS Should have mentioned this trek is in the Flinders, one of the 5 0r 6 "great treks of the Flinders Ranges".

Leanne
FollowupID: 9890

Follow Up By: Voxson - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 21:59
Hi Leanne.. Yep.. Very interested in the first one you said..Alpana Station..
I have told the station owners at Bendleby Ranges to expect us on Friday.. Have you heard or done that track>?
FollowupID: 9935

Reply By: Member - Leanne - Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:53

Thursday, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:53
Hi Voxson
Our Club is heading up that way in August - haven't heard too many reports at this stage, apart from its meant to be very scenic. Can highly recommend Mt Samuel Trek, owner's name is John Henery, he also runs a tag-a-long from his property, called the Station Track, with accommodation in shearer's quarters etc. He won't do tag-a-longs on the Mt Samuel trek as he says its too hard on his vehicle, it would wear out taking groups through there every week. Nice bloke, easy to get on with.

Cheers, Leanne
AnswerID: 16231

Reply By: rojac - Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 19:18

Thursday, Apr 03, 2003 at 19:18
Try the Echo Camp Backtrack to the Paralana Hot springs at Arkaloola, either self drive or tag along.

Cheers

Rob
AnswerID: 16813

Reply By: BAZZA - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:40

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 20:40
g'day voxson - just done Skytrek (once again) 2 weeks ago. fairly tame however if experienced then ask Brendon/Carmel if can do the Moon Walk finishing with the Widowmaker (up&over) . They now have a couple of camping sites available (basic). if u r that far up and got time a visit to Arkaroola is a must.
AnswerID: 17856

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 19:58

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 19:58
Thanks Bazza...
I will try it next time we go.. i just got back from Bendleby Ranges near Orroroo and that was really good...
There were heaps of 35 degree stuff//....
Hours of fun..._____________________________________________

Sponsored Links