GU easiest way to route wiring for fridge power

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 23:08
ThreadID: 3997 Views:1583 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
Had my new gu 3L since tues, awesome is the word that comes to mind.
I need to wire up for a 60l engel and wondered if theres a conduit or some other way of routing the wiring. Any other tips welcome and appreciated.
cheers
Rod
PS I got the slimline weathershields, almost useless.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 23:19

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 23:19
Rod.
ITs easy to follow the factory loom to the tial lights and then take of the interior trim panels at the back and put them in storage so you get a place to mount you plug plus lots of extra storage. Eric.
AnswerID: 15893

Follow Up By: brian - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:50
Eric,another alternative is to run the wires under the carpet alongside the left side doors,there is a large rubber grommet low down lhs firewall to take wires through to engine bay.Remember to put all fuses close to battery not at rear.enjoy the truck
FollowupID: 9708

Reply By: Rognet - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:58

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:58
woddonnee

I got my 3l-GU last week also and yesterday I installed wiring for the radio, phone and fridge.

I also ran Acc power to the rear for lighting and power when camping.

I spent some hours and following a unused set of wires, a thick blue and a blue/ white stripe cables, thinkning I might be able to use these but I could not find where they ended up under the dash or the bonnet. I then ran the cables the same way as I have done previously in a 2000GU.

On the Passenger side under the bonnet against the firewall is the ABS control unit. Below this throught the firewall is a rubber boot around an existing cable loom. This boot is fairly inaccessible and full of cables, but I found the by cutting a small 1 cm slit in it the front of it near the top, I was able to get all the cables I needed through into the cabin.

From there, as explained in the previous response, just follow the cable loom to the back seat. Then I put a plastic cable pullthrough into the panel next to the rear seatbelt and pushed this through to the rear area where there is a small rectangle access panel at the rear passenger door.

A bit of silicone around the cut and cables when complete should reseal the firewal.

I hope this helps.
Rognet
AnswerID: 15900

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:52

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:52
There is also available a nifty bracket ($15) to mount inside that little panel in the back that takes three Merit sockets. Look at Piranha site. The merit plugs and sockets are a bit dear though, but they're good. Maybe ask at you r local 4x4 shop they should know of it.
AnswerID: 15928

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:47

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:47
I went through the boot behind the ABS controller as suggested, then lifted the plastic on the door sills (needs a bit of force with those one way clips). Under these is a channel for the cables. I was then able to poke the wire through behind the trim in the wagon area.

For plugs and sockets, your local electrical wholesaler is a friend here. I used the clipsal T style socket, and matching plug - won't fall out, and can take plenty of power, with no voltage loss.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 15961

Reply By: woddonnee - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:06

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 23:06
Thanks for all the replies, great tips. I have printed it all out and hopefully get around to it soon.
cheers
Rod
AnswerID: 16015

Reply By: chrisfrd - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:45

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:45
The 'Merit' socket (or PT-52) is available from the Ashdown catalog for about 8 bucks.. Don't buy from Piranah, as they are just that....

The best way to run the wiring is to keep it isolated from the rest of the vehicle. Don't be running heaps of wires to the battery and DON'T put the fuses under the bonet! that implys you will be running everything through the firewall.
KISS.. Keep it Simple Stupid.. Applies.

Run some 2-4 gauge from the battery to a circuit breaker, (like jaycar's IPX 4 sealed 100A breaker), and then down the firewall and onto the chassis. Follow the vehicle wiring down the passenger side and then up behind the rear brake light into the rear trim of the truck. From there, send some power from a distribution block down to the front if you need it for radios..... Don't run bleep wire... get good stuff, soldering all your connections and use heatshink religiously and nothing will foul your system up.....

AnswerID: 16121

Sponsored Links