Cape York....When is too early

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 18:31
ThreadID: 4003 Views:2051 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi!! I'm planning my first trip to Cape York.

My wife is in the Air force and as you can all understand, leave is hard to come by.

We are currently planning on being at Mossman on the 9th June and plan to do a slow crawl up from there. I would like to go to Bathurst Bay on the way up and am currently planning a few days there around the 16th June. Is this too early? Can I, if the need arises, leave a week earlier. I am travelling alone, but have all the necessary recovery and comms equipment.

I realise that this question is a bit obscure as conditions vary from season to season, but what are your gut calls?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:14

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:14
DOLPH
I HAVE THE FEELING YOU NEED TO GO ON A TAG ALONG TOUR !
WE DO ALL THE PLANNIG FOR YOU AND ALL THE ORGANIZING.
WE TAKE YOU TO ALL OF THE GOOD AREAS.
WE EVEN TAKE YOU TO PRIVATE PROPERTIES .
THE BEAUTY OF A TAG ALONG IS YOU MEET A WHOLE GROUP OF NEW FRIENDS THAT ARE READY FOR A GREAT ADVENTURE TO THE TOP .
DONT FORGET DOLPH TO SEE OUR WEB SITE TO SEE WHEN OUR TRIPS LEAVE AND WE ALSO HAVE A SUPER MEMBERS DISCOUNT.
ALL THE BEST ERIC.Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 15924

Reply By: Kev. - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:43

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 19:43
If that wasn't advertising i dont know what is !

Where ya from again ??? LOL
AnswerID: 15927

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 20:41

Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 at 20:41
Hi Ive done a couple of trips to the Cape,one in early June the other in August. In June it was windy all the time but apart from that I had no problems though the road was a lot rougher than later in the year as the graders had not gone right through. The weather in August was great and we had a ball (mad fisho`s).Apart from that I dont imagine you would encounter any problems as it is a pretty tame run if you stick to the main roads. However be prepared to pay through the nose for fuel. Regards

Mick
AnswerID: 15936

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:06

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:06
dolfn

it all depends on the end of the wet. i went to the cape in 2001 left cairns 30th june 1 vehicle, some of the roads were closed going up, eg frenchmans track, but we just modified our trip to suit the conditions and as you come back do what you missed going up.
if you dont do anything silly you will be ok on your own, we met many single vehicles.
bathurst bay will be your toughest test this early in the year maybe on the way back would be better as you can pick up info from fellow travellers as to conditions.
check this site for a bit of info. nissanpatrolclub.org.au/trips/archive/2001/010622_cape_york.htm

regards peter
AnswerID: 15955

Follow Up By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 14:30

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 14:30
Peter , It does depend on the wet season as 2001 probebly had the most rain for years and we havent had that much rain since either,

This year i would not worry about that !
FollowupID: 9759

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:38

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 07:38
Forget the 'Wank along Tours' June is ok to do most of the cape, and you will not be the first. To give you some indercation the roads and tracks around Weipa are quite passable at the moment a bit wet, and not advisable. Over on the East coast and north of Heathlands and out to the Bay are impassable.

The fishing up at the Pine is the best for a long time and passable by road towing a tinnie.

AnswerID: 15957

Follow Up By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 15:35

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 15:35
TONY CAN TOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT A WANK ALONG TOUR IS BECAUSE I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THESE TOURS ARE YOU RUNNING
THEM ?
A TAG ALONG IS A GREAT WAY TO SEE A GREAT PLACE ANY WHERE IN OZ. THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE DO TAG ALONGS IS TO SHARE A DESTINATION WITH NEW FOUND FRIENDS THAT BECOME LIFE LONG FRIENDS.
ALL THE BEST ERIC
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 9763

Follow Up By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:54

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 17:54
Tag along tours may not be for every one but unlike most of us (Tony included) , some people may not have the confidence to go exploring by themselves, especialy if brought up in the city.

BTW- Where did the ads go ???? LOL
FollowupID: 9768

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 16:50
I travelled with Eric earlier this year (hi Eric) and can tell you he's great company.

Funny as, extremely knowledgable on things offroad, a real gentleman, but like other wild animals just don't feed him :-)

Cheers,

Stuart
FollowupID: 9834

Follow Up By: ERIC from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 21:08
THANKS FOR YOUR KIND WORDS STUART.
WE DID HAVE A GREAT TIME AND A FEW LAUGHS.
SAY HI TO THE FAMILY
ALL THE BEST ERIC
[the third nut i still get a laugh out of it and the potos of ken in that out fit] Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 9849

Sponsored Links