Bushman Fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 00:37
ThreadID: 4033 Views:2020 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for feedback on the Bushman fridge. It's technically great but how does it stand up after a bit of use.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mal58 - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:32

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:32
duncs,
I have had a Bushman fridge for just over 3 years now. It has been to QLD when I took some 8 weeks long service leave. It has also been to the Flinders Ranges for 3 weeks, plus a number of minor jaunts.
We tend to run it fairly hard (as a freezer at -15 degrees). I have not had any problems with it and consider that I made a good purchase decision. (It was 2/3 the cost of the equivalent Engel at the time).
Being an Engineer, I always look at ways to improve things, and I would consider two improvements,

a) The Power Socket and plug on the unit, I would prefer to be mechanically locking, not infringement fit. This would ensure no chance of the lead coming out on rough corrugated roads. (This happend once. I felt that the plug was loose, so I took it back and we got a replacement lead under warranty - no questions asked.)

b) The Lid latches should be a bit stronger. They haven't come undone or anything like that, but I've accidently bent them on a number of occassions, when I have left them open when sliding the fridge in / out of the box that it is mounted on in the vehicle.

I hope the above helps with your questions.

Rgds,
Mal58
AnswerID: 16060

Follow Up By: Mal58 - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:33
PS : I forgot to mention that I bought a cover for it. This has helped keep the case unmarked.
FollowupID: 9826

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:08

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 22:08
Same here Mal58!

I replaced the connector of my Waeco recently with a 50A Anderson connector. These are positive locking connectors that I use on the fridge and inverter. The other connectors are just bollocks as they don't suffer vibration and movement very well.

The bushman units have had electronics problems in the past. At three years of age, yours is a candidate for controller failure, but they are fairly painless (if not expensive) to refit, as the cabinet/compressor and dryer should still be in good nick.

FollowupID: 9856

Reply By: sensei - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:58

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:58
I used a friends Bushman fridge on several occassions before I purchase my Engel fridge, I found it to be great and I loved the digital temp control on them. Easy to adjust and you are able to see the temp inside the fridge at all times. He still has his Bushman and is still going strong after 3 years and he is not gentle with his fridge. It takes some beatings.
The only thing I didnt like was the handles on the side, there is no stop on them so they are allowed to come up and squash your hands when lifting. That is my only complaint about the Bushman.
AnswerID: 16063

Reply By: Grinner - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:09

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:09
I too have a bushman, since late 2000, I think its great, especially the inbuilt temp readout. The support from Gary is terrific. I concur about the power plug and I think there could be a better way to tie it down, but these are only minor things, otherwise a great product.
AnswerID: 16132

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:22

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:22
Thanks to everyone who has responded. What youre all saying supports what I have believed for some time now.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 16163

Sponsored Links