hidden gem in sa

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:50
ThreadID: 4036 Views:1773 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
ive just returned from a goat culling trip in the northern flinders and discovered a place that must be seen.it is a place called waraweena station and is 30 ks east of beltana. facilities include shearers quarters or you can camp out for 10 bucks per night.this place is 87000 acres and has over 300 ks of tracks to explore and unlike other places up there no real restictions just stick to tracks.it has hill climbs and decents wash outs creek drives, drives thru cuttings , rock driving winding slow driving tracks and any other driving imaganable.the whole trip was done in high 4wd but you rarely get out of 1st or 2nd .in my opion its better than wipena pound for montain veiwing and has over 95 vareitys of bird life.it also has yellow footed rock wallabies,euros and avast range of flora as well.i wouldnt hesitate in suggesting this place as it truly is an ore inspiring place an the manager is one of the nicest, imformative blokes you can meet.if you have any questions i would be happy to help .if you have been there i would love to know what you think of the place. ps if you want to hike you can do so without restriction but dont forget good boots ,acompass ,gps and a full day pack with a1st aid kit and this is a VERY,VERY unforgiving place if you get lost.anyway good veiwing and hope to get some feedback from you cheers dc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:03

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:03
Sounds great, can you give us a little more detail on the location, roads etc or co-ords, any phone nos, names ???
Isn't great when you find a place where you almost feel you are the first one to have ever been there and no tourists.
AnswerID: 16053

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:14

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:14
Turn right near Beltana roadhouse on Parachilna to Leigh Creek road, approx 30-40km off main road
FollowupID: 9822

Reply By: Member - Chris - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 15:01

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 15:01
DC,
Mate, d'ya have any gps coords/waypoints/track data at all????Chris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 16067

Follow Up By: Member - Mike - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:43

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:43
Chris, give me your em-al address and I can e-mail some to you. It is a great place and fortunately, is in my backyard!
MikeToo little time in the bush!
FollowupID: 9882

Reply By: dc - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 17:19

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 17:19
the easiest way is like peter said you get on the hawker to leigh creek road and about 27 ks is a store at beltana which sells deisel and unleaded (1.10).(thats 27 ks from leigh creek)you just turnright on the dirt road and follow it for 34 ks and you run straight into it.you can buy maps of this place from the map shops.the map you want is actually the map of CADINA and that will show you waraweena.sorry dont know any gps points as i havent ever used one there but they would be very handy.the managers name is story steiner and his number is 0886752770.please do me afavour and be nice as this is one of my favorite spots in aust .also been a private conservation park there is no rubbish tip so you must take out your own rubbish .if you would like to have a chat email me at bjanddave@bigpond.com and i can give you my number as i can rattle on for hours about this place its that good. cheers dc.
AnswerID: 16074

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 18:50

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 at 18:50
FYI

There is a P.A.R. at the eastern end of the Sliding Rock mine area.

A PAR is a Public Access Route. There are about 18 in SA. They have special conditions of use, and enable us(-the public-)to access what has traditionally been "private" areas. It is managed, I think, by the Pastoral Board. Try a search for their website, as it lists all these routes, and the conditions of use.

The current RAA map of the Flinders Ranges has many of these PAR's marked. The RAA travel book titled 'Outback', by Stuart Nicol, is an excellent guide to this region.(not on commission! - just recognise good sources when I see them).

Cheers
Rick

PS: dc - yes it is a top area, great European history, and regarded as the most rugged section of the Flinders Ranges, especially Mt Hack.
AnswerID: 16086

Sponsored Links