Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 405 Views:1921 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What is a good time frame to allow for doing the Birdsville Track? I.e. the section from Maree to Birdsville.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter Foye - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00
I did the track in 2 days easy travel staying at Mungerannie the first night. The track was generally good, well graded but with lots of LARGE tyre punching rocks on the track like it didn't need grading but a good sweep!!!
AnswerID: 1026

Reply By: Trev - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2001 at 00:00
Lisa - we did it as an easy trip over 2 days. Stones were very rough in patches. Mungerannie was a disappointment so we bush camped.
AnswerID: 1030

Reply By: Ray Kearney - Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 07, 2001 at 00:00
Hi,

In 1999 we did it very comfortably in 1 1/2 days with a few stops for food and sight seeing etc. We went the opposite way but it should be similar for you, if you have the time I'd suggest giving yourself 2 days.Police and the info centre in Birdsville told us that the inside track was closed as it was on private property. On returning home I found out that this was probably not true, you may want to check it out if your heading this way.
AnswerID: 1041

Reply By: Rob Roy - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2001 at 00:00
We had an easy day from Maree. We turned off at Mungeranie and spent a couple of days at Kalamurina Station (pronounced Kal-a-meena). We bush-camped beside the Warburton Creek.
Kalamurina is a very interesting working cattle station surrounded by the Simpson, Tirari and Sturts Stoney Deserts, but has the Warburton flowing down the centre. The drive down to the bore was very pleasant with a wide range of terrain, and where we camped there was a wide sandy "beach" on the creek. Stacks of birds, and really something different. Recommended.

It was a big day from Kalamurina to Birdsville, but that was probably mostly due to the thick mud.

AnswerID: 1054

Reply By: Joerg - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2001 at 00:00
Hallo Lisa,

I did the Birdsville-Track twice, allowing 2 days each tour. The track normally is well graded and easy to drive. I once stayed at Kalamurina, about 50 km west of Mungerannie, at Warbourton Creek, and once at Mungerannie near the Waterhole. Bothe places are fine. If you need more infos, contact me

Best wishes

Joerg
AnswerID: 1099

Sponsored Links